Thread: DVD Rendering fails (doesn't even get to the burn process)

elephix2 Guest

Default Dvd

this is an old post
    Last edited by elephix2; 05-09-2007 at 10:33 PM.

Blog Entries

If you're having trouble creating the DVD in pinnacle, I'd take a step back and look at the freeware alternatives available.

I'f you're not looking at creating any fancy menus, you can use ifoedit to create all the necesary files from your MPEG source. It's then a simple matter of burning these files (they'll be two main folders, VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS) to DVD using your favoured burning application.

One caveat is that your MPEG2 must be in elemetary streams. All this means is that the audio and video are in seperate files. If you've already got a DVD compliant MPEG2, then all you have to do is de-multiplex using software such as TMPGenc.

However, I see from your post that its AVI you've got, so you'll need to encode this to DVD compliant MPEG2 before using ifoedit.

There's a post I've written to explain all the above (which I'm going to make sticky as soon as I've found it!), which I'll dig out and post in this post

Blog Entries

http://www.videoeditingforums.co.uk/...foedit+tmpgenc

It also deals with cropping video, but you can ignore that bit

Oh, and welcome to the forums - always good to see a new member that answers questions before posting their own query!

elephix2 Guest

I really didn't want to get into the other program stuff. I personally don't think you should have to. You bought Pinnacle to use Pinnacle, ya know? I've been trying to render the same project non-stop for 6 straight days now! The Windows error message "Studio program file has encountered a problem and needs to close.We are sorry for the inconvenience."

I never had any problems with Studio 7. Once I got 8, it all went down hill from there. Now, sometimes it even closes out when I'm just working on the timeline (in EDIT). It feels really unstable, but I just wiped my whole computer, and just put Pinnacle on it so nothing would screw it up. I downloaded all the patches for it as well.

I'm trying to convert my .AVI video footage to MPEG but it even does it when I do that!! I haven't tried to render to put it to tape, will that get stopped too?

I'm going to call Pinnacle tomorrow and see what they say, but does anyone else experience these problems?? It just started doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by elephix2
    I really didn't want to get into the other program stuff. I personally don't think you should have to. You bought Pinnacle to use Pinnacle, ya know? I've been trying to render the same project non-stop for 6 straight days now! The Windows error message "Studio program file has encountered a problem and needs to close.We are sorry for the inconvenience."

I never had any problems with Studio 7. Once I got 8, it all went down hill from there. Now, sometimes it even closes out when I'm just working on the timeline (in EDIT). It feels really unstable, but I just wiped my whole computer, and just put Pinnacle on it so nothing would screw it up. I downloaded all the patches for it as well.

I'm trying to convert my .AVI video footage to MPEG but it even does it when I do that!! I haven't tried to render to put it to tape, will that get stopped too?

I'm going to call Pinnacle tomorrow and see what they say, but does anyone else experience these problems?? It just started doing this.
    I have experienced every possible problem with Pinnacle Studio...been using it since October and the only reason I haven't given up on it totally is that I love the editing format.
    My solution is to capture with the Canopus ADVC100(produces huge AVI files)...perfect capture even with cruddy VHS tapes. You can use your Studio to do this. Studio hates "corrupted" video, which appears to include every tape I tried out of about 25.
    I then use the STudio to do my editing. When I tried to render/compile to burn a dvd, it always crashed or failed to compile. So now I strictly render to mpeg with it. Never had a problem with this step. Now I have a mpeg file that I take into ulead or some other program and burn to dvd. I am going to try Nero as I hear it is top notch, just haven't needed to burn to a dvd lately. I used a trial version of Ulead Movie Maker for 30 days and got perfect, high quality burns with no coasters.
    I have tried the "stream" on Studio, and while it works, the quality is really poor so I am battling with Windows Media Encoder right now trying to create a stream for a web site...have don't it once but failing on this try.
    Studio just does not do all it says it will. Even when I did get it to render/compile for a dvd, it could take up to 8 hours for a one hour clip. But as I said, haven't been able to do it lately. Their tech support will have you shut everything down, defrag, delete files, wipe your computer clean, reinstall the program, stand on your head and beg for mercy, and you will still get them same results. They are no help.
    I have used Studio 8 on a P4 1.6ghz processor with a seperate harddrive for video production, and a brand new Dell P4 2.8 with ht, with the exact same results on both, so it is not the computer as Pinnacle suggests. If you go to their site and read their consumer forums, you will see that most users experience these problems.
    Using Canopus to capture has eliminated the crashing in edit as the files are perfect. Rendering to mpeg and burning in another program has eliminated the failure to compile and burn.
    You can keep trying to make the entire program work, but you are wasting your time.

Default Studio Crashes

Go to www.pinnaclesys.co.uk and follow the links to the Studio 9 forum. I've been editing movies since early cine and now into DV. Studio 9 is the sexiest product on the market for what we home people need. The only trouble is it's too unstable to trust with anything at all. Tech support is limited to uninstall/reinstall (on one occasion it was 're-install Windows XP'. Unless you really know every square nanometre of your motherboard stay away from it but watch for Studio 9.1 (which maybe Studio 10).

I've secured a copy of Ulead Video Studio 8. it's not as smooth as Studio but it's redeeming feature is that it works, from capture to burn (and in 16:9)
    Breathe through your ears

Blog Entries

I'm seriously thinking about closing the Pinnacle Studio forum and just advising people to ditch the app and try something else instead