Thread: Homemade DVD to PC for video editing...

Default Homemade DVD to PC for video editing...

Hey guys, I have a problem and I was hoping you could enlighten me :p

The thing is that I have all of my old family tapes in Beta and VHS and had them transfered to DVD by a proffesional, so now I have a bunch of DVDs.

The thing is that I would like to capture video from these DVDs to make a compilation of "the best moments" so to speak... How would I go about doing this?

I dont have video capture hardware (video inputs or video capture card).

Is it even possible?

you could just copy the files from the DVD's onto your hard-drive, you will have 2 folders: AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS, navigate to the VIDEO_TS folder and copy the files with the ".vob" extension.

If you just want to chop out chunks with no editing the easiest way would probably be to re-name the .vob files to .mpg, this will allow you to import them into your DVD authoring application, if you have one, if not, download a trial of one,

import the re-named vob's in the order you want and create a menu as normal with the files, they will be DVD compliant already so you shouldn't need to transcode, then burn the new DVD.

if you need to edit/combine the vobs you may be better off using something like VirtualDub mod to convert the vobs to AVI's and editing before transcoding to MPEG2 for the DVD.

This is probably a badly written explanation of what to do, if you can't follow it, or if you post some more info on what software you use/have on your PC I (or someone else) could give you a better version. But it is definitely possible to do with what you have.

Hope that helps
    Panasonic SD9, Panasonic NVGS-75, Canon MV600i

You have Betamax tapes? Smoooooth... Do you still have a Betamax VCR?
    Your best bet is probably to have it done professionaly. It's not worth the hassle and the money to do it yourself.

I'm looking to do exactly the same thing as the original poster with a voiceover and music track as well - I know its a real open question by what would be the best software to start with?

Thanks for any replies!