Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the World Cup sexy?

Blog Entries

Default Is the World Cup sexy?

Most of you guys would rather look at the sun than watch a game of football, but the World Cup is a showcase and a showcase for filming too.

At each game there's a host of camera's pointing on the pitch and crowd, at least one steadicam operator, and cranes behind each goal. Then why oh why has the coverage been so poor? Each time I see a crane, I wince as the operator choses to bizarely track a shot, not commiting to one path. The steadicam operators are invariably at the wrong place when the national anthems begin and the chosen camera points in most stadia so obscure they actually hinder my enjoyment. And don't get me started on the direction. Replays of utter tripe mean we miss live action and the England game was marred by cuts to black.

On a positive note, the BBC montages after each game are spot on.

Blog Entries

Absolutely!

There's a situation where a firm - Plazamedia - has the monopoly on supplying crews and facilities to televise football matches in Germany. There are rumours of back-handers as the state broadcasters ran-down their football televising capability such that nowadays ZDF (Europe's biggest broadcaster) can only supply equipment and crew for one match.

Once Plazamedia had the monopoly, they introduced crippling contracts to the sports cameramen which resulted in a lot of the top operators either leaving or becoming disillusioned. Plazamedia then "trained" (hah!) young assistants to operate. The bottom line is that it's nowhere up to the BBC's standard, but has a strangle-hold on all the top matches.

Watching the Jimmy-Jib swinging around, the steadycam flouncing around and the goal cams turning around, I'm not enjoying the footie as much as I would want to.

Like Marc, I also think the camerawork's far from top class. Nearly all ultra-long safety shots. Now my telly ain't small but I'm having a lot of difficulty spotting the ball and recognising the players.

Blog Entries

Nice industry insight there.

I really enjoy the World Cup so far... well except for the fact we didn't even qualify. X( the Czech Republic elliminated us, still I'm glad they beat the US today and I hope they have good results, they're a good team.
    As for the camerawork, I don't like it either.

Blog Entries

It frustrates me that those cranes are going to such waste.... let me at 'em!

Blog Entries

And they're on wheels. Design inspiration for you?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters
    And they're on wheels. Design inspiration for you?
    Ha. My own one is Marc. It's mounted on a 1970s ish Vinten dolly. Weighs an absolute ton but rolls fantastically well and is as smooth as a very smooth thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Turn Media
    Ha. My own one is Marc. It's mounted on a 1970s ish Vinten dolly. Weighs an absolute ton but rolls fantastically well and is as smooth as a very smooth thing.
    I can remember the pictures you posted of it when you got it. I'll bet you're glad you have that range rover eh?

I saw the steadicam. They are filmed in HD format right

Quit calling it football, its soccer. English peolpe....LOL
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast