Thread: CyberLink and Herman Street not trustworthy

Default CyberLink and Herman Street not trustworthy

I bought CyberLink PowerDirector 5.0 from their reseller, Herman Street. The program seems to have major flaws. For example, it will quit frequently with no warning at all. I worked with Cyberlink for some time on this, downloading a patch, then they recommended another build of the program. Their site to download this did not work either although I tried it on three different computers with different ISP's.

I requested a refund, as they had a money-back guarantee. I was told, because I bought it from Herman Street I would have to apply for a refund there. Now comes the Catch-22. Herman Street says that, because the 30-day period had elapsed, they would not give a refund. Of course, the 30 days went by when I was trying to resolve issues with Cyberlink. Cyberlink also refuses to provide Herman Street with proof that I was working with them during all this time.

It seems like a neat little scam, sell defective software through a reseller, then both parties disclaim all responsibility for anything.

Just a warning to anyone considering purchasing anything through these two gangsters.
    If freedom means anything at all, it is the liberty to tell others what they don't want to hear.

Blog Entries

That is really bad. You have been unfairly treated.

Default Herman Street Is Awful!

I, too, had a horrible experience with Herman Street. Apparently, we aren't the only ones- see:

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller11505.html

I will never do business with Herman Street again and strongly advise others to do the same.
    Last edited by Predictor; 10-14-2006 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Typo

Default Ditto

I bought Power Director (Cyber Link) through HermanStreet and found that when I imported an avi file, for example, into Power Director and completed my editing that I could not then export my video file back out to my hard disk as an avi file. They only export their own proprietary vob file. I could convert this vob file to avi, I suppose, but I didn't pay over 90 bucks including a cd for a program where I have to do the extra step. Cyber Link tech support admitted that it can only export vob and apologized for the shortcoming.
    Maybe I'm out of touch but I thought I should get a refund but was blown off by the Herman Street support guy.
    Needless to say, I will not buy from them again!

That said, the deinterlacer on Cyberlink power DVD is pretty niiice...

But on the subject... what posessed you to buy Power Director >_> One look at the box immediatly says "..."
    It's not about what camera you use or how much it cost.

It's about what you shoot,
    how you shot it,
    and how you edit it :P

Agree completely, "Herman Street" is an irresponsible company with poor service and surly representatives. STAY AWAY!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Slrman View Post
    I bought CyberLink PowerDirector 5.0 from their reseller, Herman Street. The program seems to have major flaws. For example, it will quit frequently with no warning at all. I worked with Cyberlink for some time on this, downloading a patch, then they recommended another build of the program. Their site to download this did not work either although I tried it on three different computers with different ISP's.

I requested a refund, as they had a money-back guarantee. I was told, because I bought it from Herman Street I would have to apply for a refund there. Now comes the Catch-22. Herman Street says that, because the 30-day period had elapsed, they would not give a refund. Of course, the 30 days went by when I was trying to resolve issues with Cyberlink. Cyberlink also refuses to provide Herman Street with proof that I was working with them during all this time.

It seems like a neat little scam, sell defective software through a reseller, then both parties disclaim all responsibility for anything.

Just a warning to anyone considering purchasing anything through these two gangsters.
    I had the same experience, although the tech at Cyber Link verified that the problems I encountered were real and apologized. But Mr Hard Nose at H St wasn't about to give me a refund so I appealed to VISA and they removed the charge from my account. Never heard any more from the smart aleck little loud mouth at H St. I was criticized for not 'reading the info on the box' - hard to do online when you never see a box. Don't waste your money on anything from H St.

I had a similar bad experience with Herman Street, I bought 2 software products from Herman Street last year, after download they caused my PC to freeze and crash, although Tec. Support tried hard to help me fix the problems they were unable to do so.
    I finally requested a refund (Herman Street has a 30 day money back guarantee) I recieved a refund for 1 product quickly while second refund was delayed - I complained and was told that it was on the way or delayed, finally I was sent a cheque in the post to cover the refund - but as cheque clearance fees would cost more than the refund I told them that I would return the checque and wait for a VISA card refund, I was finally told that actually H.S. did not have to return me anything and if I refused the cheque the matter was closed as far as they were concerned, I am still contacting them and will continue to do so till I get satisfaction.

Default Herman Street Needs to be Stopped

I agree. I had an experience with them around financial software.
    They would not resolve it, though I did have communication with someone that was pleasant for a time.
    They take NO responsibility for any of the software they sell, doesn't matter if it's loaded with malware or just doesn't work.
    I tried to be nice.
    When I told them to watch for an uptick on FaceBook, communication ceased.
    Everyone should post at least once a week on FB about not doing business with HS.
    Dale Hill
    MONEY: how to get it, spend it, save it, grow it, manage it, keep it, give it - Manage Your Money