Thread: Capturing to Prem Elements 1 without firewire - possible?

1. Default Capturing to Prem Elements 1 without firewire - possible?

Hi,

My usual camera is in being repaired and I've borrowed another one, but have discovered it doesn't have firewire, only USB. I understand you can only capture to Elements 1 via firewire. Is there any way around this or do I need to get either a new camera or a new package (and is this firewire requirement common to other packages or is it just Elements???)

Thanks.

You can just buy the firewire card and then insert it into your cpu's PCI slot

3. Default So many Questions

So many questions.
    If your camera was doing the capture OK but is being repaired why would you want to get a new one.

Why would Minsh tell you to buy a firewire card when you alredy have one, it's the borrowed camera that doesn't.

What kind of camera is the borrowed one. Is it a DV tape and is that what your camera was. I don't think that even USB2 is suitable for DV video. They usually only use that for mpeg2 or photos. Firewire is the only system that can carry the bandwidth for DV-avi video. Changing editing packages wil not help this unless you are have a DVD camcorder. You might just have to wait for your camera or borrow another one.
    Last edited by Evereddie; 06-11-2006 at 07:49 AM.

4. Default

Hi there,

My PC works fine with my usual camera (Canon MV550i), so I don't think it's a PC problem... This camera is playing up, though, so it's in for repair, which could take weeks, so I borrowed a friend's and taped some stuff that I want to edit, hence me trying to use the new one to capture (that's where the problem started).

The new camera is a Panasonic NV-GS70 - it's pretty new, newer (and more expensive) than my old one, both use mini DV. But, as I said, can only find a USB connection on it, not a firewire like my usual camera. I also thought DV could only be sent through firewire, hence my confusion, but maybe I'm wrong.

If I can't make it work I'll just have to wait till my old one comes back, just wondering if there's no way to capture through this camera.

Thanks again for any guidance.

6. Default

The specs say it has firewire output for sure. Look harder!

7. Default

OK, I'm a complete dill. Sorry, and thanks.

I have the Panasonic GS50 and it has firewire though its not immediately obvious

Behind the hand strap there is a liitle flap that you pull open, this hides the firewire, usb and Svid in/out sockets.

Yours may be similar
    Last edited by enc; 06-13-2006 at 10:31 PM.