Thread: Question concerning best way to transfer video from an 8mm camera to a computer

Default Question concerning best way to transfer video from an 8mm camera to a computer

short version

I am just looking for the best possible way to transfer video on my computer using an 8mm camera (av jacks) whether it be a capture card.. or a hardware device like the dvc 150.. I want to maintain the best possible quality

long descriptive version

I am looking for the best possible way to transfer video from an 8mm camera to the computer with the best quality possible. The transfer would take place through a/v jacks, which I believe is the only possible way to do it. I have tried using several hardware devices such as dazzle products (dvc 150) which I was happy with, but the device broke (under understandable circumstances). Considering it costs 100 + dollars to replace , I was wondering if there was an even more efficent way to transfer videos with a/v jacks using a capture card for a cheaper.. or even bigger price. I am basically wondering if the quality would be superior if I used an a/v capture card instead.. considering it goes directly to the computer, rather then being compressed in a hardware device like the dazzle dvc 150.. or would the quality not be as good. If there are any *other* options that would allow me even better quality I would like to hear them. I ultimately want the option that will enable the best quality possible

I have upgraded to a dv so none of this will be necessary after I transfer all my 8mm since I can simply transfer videos directly with a firewire
    Last edited by lynch03; 06-09-2006 at 07:06 PM.

I run the footage into the av in socket on my Panasonic gs50 to convert it.

The footage is converted by the camera, exits through the firewire cable and captured with premiere elements. Reliable with no dropped frames
    Last edited by enc; 06-09-2006 at 09:44 PM.

Thanks but the panasonic is a dv camera right. Unless there's a way to do it with my dv camera ( i don't have any composite jacks).. I'm looking to transfer *8mm* and *vhs tapes* to my computer with the least amount of quality loss.