Thread: JVCAM unable to connect to PC

Question JVCAM unable to connect to PC

I have a JVC LIXVS_66D supplied with a Ulead CD , this installed Photexpress 4 and Ulead video studio 7. After the first download from the mini camcorder I am now unable to access Video..7 or use photoexpress4. The screen messages are 'Load lPLib error'. Unable to find function iplGetLibVersion. "click OK" the result is 'Error starting program' The UVlPL.DLL file cannot start. check the file to determine the problem. Despite some help from the Ulead site they have not been able to rectify the problem. As a fairly new user of both computer and video could someone help please/ The system is Windows 98. Thanks Ian CH

Hi Ian,

Welcome to the 'crazy' world off digital video editing. I haven't used Win 98 to do any video work on so I would strongly recommend upgrading to Win XP as it is designed specifically to allow you to work with digital video. The files you mention might be able to be downloaded from the net and then you'll have to put them in their required folders in Windows (more hassle). Are you using a firewire or usb connection to connect your camera to the computer? Firewire is the defacto connection method as usb doesn't have the picture quality and it doesn't carry sound. What is the spec of your computer, in terms of how much RAM, hard disk space and the speed of the CPU?

Blog Entries

Even if the win 98 isnt the prob you really should upgrade to xp... it really is worth it, imagine no more blue screens of death !

Default JVCam

Thank you for your replies, Perhaps my skill and computer knowledge and machine power is beyond my efforts. by the way I have 192 mb RAM and the computer has a AMD-K6(tm) processor. Hope this helps. Ian CH

Default K-6 processor

192mb RAM isn’t very much. And a K-6 processor will struggle to even open a video file let alone edit one; they’re quite a few years old now. I remember trying to load WinXP onto a K-6 machine, and it just couldn’t cope.

I think you really need to look at a new PC, Ian Ch.

Yeah, you should probably buy a new PC, Ian. And it's really worth it, even if you're not into video editing much.

Blog Entries

I started editing on a amd 1700 and that was okay, any new low end machine would get you going for sure.

Smile JVCam problems

Thank you everybody for your help,it seems that I will have to get a replacement computer. My funds are somewhat limited, so if anyone can tell me what would be the basic spec.I should be looking for it would be very much appreciated. I do not expect to do a lot of video editing,but use the computer for mainly simple internet and domestic activities. Thanks again for your help. Ian CH

Ian, simple internet and domestic activities are at one end of the scale whereas video capture and editing are at the other. You'll need an AMD or Pentium 4 with 512Mb Ram, as big a hard disk as you can afford and a CPU running anywhere from 2Ghz to 3Ghz and don't buy anything that has a 533Mhz motherboard, you need a 800Mhz board or you will be sitting around watching your hair turn grey as you wait for the computer to finish tasks. You'll need at least one firewire socket, a DVD burner drive and of course Windows XP which will have Movie Maker built in.

Smile JVCam problems

Thanks for everyones help, Unfortunatly I am past the grey stage and already white. I will now start my quest for a suitable machine. Ian CH