Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to shoot a scene in moving car

Default How to shoot a scene in moving car

Hi, Is there anyone having experience shooting a scene in a moving car. I would like to shoot some scenes that show both guys sitting in the front seats and talking to each other. there will be three angles. One is from front, one from left and one from right. Basically when left side person speaks the right side cam is on and when right side person speaks left side cam is on and the front side cam is on to show both their expressions at same time. And the difficult thing is, the car moves and the road is inside a forest.
    Any special equipment I need for this scene.

-Jagdish

Hello I was wondering if you wanted a front angle of them, how would you do that if the car's moving? You'll get run over?

Blog Entries

Here is how I would do it.

If the road is in the woods no one will notice the lack of continuity in the moving stuff.

Shoot the scene 3 times. Run through the script action in total each time and chop together in the edit.

For the front view you would need to tape the camera to the bonnet of the car and have a mic in the car connected to the camea or another cam (sound only) in the car getting the sound.

Mark,
    This seems to be good idea. I will tape the cam to the bonnet and I will make sure the car goes slowly. Any idea how I can shoot from the side angle. basically they are close up shots and needs to be clear and not shaky. There is no base to attach the cam. It seems I need to create some special tool for attaching my cam there.

Last edited by koolage; 06-08-2006 at 04:15 PM.

Koolage, thaaanks for the cool links. That is what I am looking for. I will check if I can purchase one.

The clamps are definitely a good idea. I don't know if the one for the bonnet could be used to clamp onto the side of the car aswell, but you could either put the camera inside the car, depending on how big it is. Or you could clamp it onto the door frame with the window wound down. When it is on the right door frame get the actor on the left to move his/her seat slightly forward so you can see some of their face and do the same when shooting from the left side for the actor on the right. Shooting it 3 times is the way I would do it as you don't want to see a camera sitting on the dash when you are recording your wide master shot.

Blog Entries

Clamps are cool but duct tape is cheaper.

Or you could build an extention off the car door and someone could sit on it and film it, or I know you could tape it to the inside of the car or hang it from the top of the side window

Thanks Guys. This weekend I am going to shoot a test scene in moving car. Will keep you posted how it comes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast