Thread: newbie digital tape to DVD backup question

Default newbie digital tape to DVD backup question

Hi

I have a Canon MV750 digital video camera with one hour video tapes. I also have the Adobe video collection suit with premier v1.5, encore etc.

I wan to know if there are any tutorial to help me import my one hour video into Adobe premier, then convert to a suitable format so it can be burnt to DVD using Encore or WinDVD creator.

The video is in PAL format and I'm not sure what resolution to import the video into Premier.

Any help, advice or links to tutorials would be appreciated

Regards

Sean

First connect your camera and switch it on in playback mode, open premiere, make new project choose DV PAL settings, name it and hit OK, then go to the file menu and choose capture, you can then use the device control in the capture window to control the cam and record from it.

Add your captured file to the timeline, edit out the bits you don't want and then go to File Export Movie, this will save a DV copy of the timeline, and this file can be imported in to Encore for DVD authoring and encoe will convert it to DVD MPEG2 automatically when you burn to disc.

If you want the video as it is with no editing then just drop the captured file in to Encore.
    Last edited by miwhel; 06-08-2006 at 06:57 PM.
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

Hi

Thanks for the info it was a great help.
    I chose Used Standard PAL 48 KHz 720 X 576 (1.067) 25 FPS 32,000 Hz 16 bit stereo and was able to drop it into Encore.

I also have a Dazzle Digital Video Creator 80 USB which I am using to capture my old analog tapes to digital format.
    The highest resolution possible with this device is 352x288. Is this aceptable or should I be looking at purchasing another capture device with higher specs?

I am a bit confused over the resolution, is this the maximum possible with an analog camera or is it the devices maximum?

What resolution should I be trying to capture from my analog?

Thanks

Sean

4. Default

That is only the resolution of that model of the Dazzle box. The higher models can capture in full rez. Does your camera have composite inputs? You could use that as a capture device.

Hi

My camera just has two RCA plugs, video & audio. No other connectors like firewire etc are on this model.

Is there any other way that I could get Premier to capture the video?

Thanks

Is the camera a 750i the " i " is the important bit. If it has this means it has video pass through capabilities, which means you can plug the video player in to the RCA sockets on the camera, switch to playback mode and check that AV-IN - DV is enabled in the playback menu of the camera. Connect the camera via firewire to the PC and press play on the VCR.

The camera will take the incoming signal from the VCR and convert it on the fly to DV and then send it out to the PC as DV-AVI ready for editing.
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

Hi

Thanks for that info.
    I got it working as you suggested. I can now capture from my anolg camer through my digital into Premier!

I have just got to read up on the various resolutions as Encore needs an AVI in 720x576 which is what the PAL default is so thats good.

Thanks for your help it is much appreciated.

Sean