Thread: Microphones and wind noise

Default Microphones and wind noise

Some years ago when I bought my first camcorder it was possible to buy a "fur" cover for the mike which helped aleviate wind noise passing over the mike. After a few years of inactivity I bought my new camcorder but forgot all about this and of course the mike is flush on the front of the camcorder. Also there is no jack point for an external mike. Has anyone any ideas on overcoming wind noise when the mike is in such a position and if so I would be interested in hearing from them.
    Many thanks,

Blog Entries

I tried a little bit of very furry fur fabric once, worked quite well. Some noise can be removed in the edit too by cutting down the bass frequencies.

Built in mics on camcorders are always a problem and with more and more of them coming on the market minus an external mic socket it doesn't make life any easier. The only things I would say are, find yourself a sheltered area to stand in, if you can feel the wind blowing even gently on your face it might be anything from 10 to 100 times more powerful as it is being picked up by the mic. Bring a large golfing umbrella with you and stand with your back into the wind. The only other way is by putting some covering over the mic but this will probably have a detrimental effect on the overall audio track, check in the menu to see if there is an inbuilt wind cut filter.

Thanks will try these suggestions and see which works best for me.

Hi, I'm not really that experienced but I like to help people I would buy a new cam, if not buy an extention mic and get rid of the old one or you could edit it on the computer I hope I've helped

To cover my built in camera mic I use a small bit of sponge attached with an elastic band! I find that this works really well and wind noise is virtually non existant.

... poor students get it tough!!
    ----------------------------------
    JonnyC
    AMD Athlon XP3000+
    1Gb RAM
    2x200GB Maxtor SATA Internal
    1x300GB Seagate SATA Internal
    256MB nVidia GeForce FX6600 AGP
    XP Pro
    Sony DCR-TR7000E

Default Wind noise not a problem anymore

Quote Originally Posted by logantoo View Post
    Some years ago when I bought my first camcorder it was possible to buy a "fur" cover for the mike which helped aleviate wind noise passing over the mike. After a few years of inactivity I bought my new camcorder but forgot all about this and of course the mike is flush on the front of the camcorder. Also there is no jack point for an external mike. Has anyone any ideas on overcoming wind noise when the mike is in such a position and if so I would be interested in hearing from them.
    Many thanks,
    I know first hand the frustration of wind noise picked up by the flush-mount supplied camcorder mics. I like to skateboard while shooting with my Sony camcorder. I could never use my recorded sound, and had to edit music or voice-over instead of actual skate sound. Now I don't have to do that. I found a cool little gadget called a stick-on Windcutter at ( link removed - mw ) in the U.S.. This thing is awesome!!! And post to the UK was free when I ordered mine. I've been using it for two weeks now and my video sound is now very usable. I've been trying to spread the word about this very cool little item because I know there's a lot of guys out there who have the same problem I once had. I hope this helps a lot of people.

Tom
    Last edited by Mark W; 04-22-2009 at 12:11 AM.

Blog Entries

^^^ how very decent of you old bean - but sadly all your advice is no good as we are all familair with windjammers for ' proper ' mics but this was a cheap botch for a in cam mike.

I have removed your link as we do find that many types who post endorsements on specious grounds are merely spammers.

I trust my accusatory tone does not offend - without some tectchiness from the moderators this board would sieze up with spam.