Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing Toy Cat into a Real Woman - Special Effect

Cool Changing Toy Cat into a Real Woman - Special Effect

I needed a special effect sequence for a future feature. i.e. a cat changing into a woman. Here is the rough screen test of the effect accomplished using Vegas: (runs 22 seconds).

Technical: Accomplished using fixed camera shots of both subjects, duplicate vidio tracks of subject material, and third lower track.

Using the 'Fade Through Transparent' dissolve on the top track, a common fade through on the duplicate second track, with 'Intense Light Rays' plug-in on trailing second track woman shot. Also reduced that shot's Opacity to 75% allowing animated rays on bottom track to leak through the 3.27 second transition window.

This was just a proof-of-concept using the cheap camera, an un-lit set and one fixed subject. For the actual feature I will be replacing the toy with a live cat (fun city - smile).
    Last edited by worddigger; 06-05-2006 at 08:30 AM.

Blog Entries

Looks good. Like the star trek noise. How about starting the woman the size of the cat and enlarging as the effect progresses ? Might wk

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W
    Looks good. Like the star trek noise. How about starting the woman the size of the cat and enlarging as the effect progresses ? Might wk
    That is a thought. The problem is I would have to move the camera, thus loosing the effect of the room/background set not moving/changing during the transition.

Nicely done I think. not sure about the Star Trek noise though. Something a little more original is needed I think.

Also, the clip started with the word 'morph'. Now, as well as you achieved what you set out to, it's not really a morph is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Mills
    Nicely done I think. not sure about the Star Trek noise though. Something a little more original is needed I think.

Also, the clip started with the word 'morph'. Now, as well as you achieved what you set out to, it's not really a morph is it?
    No, it is not a morph. Bad choice of words. Yes, the Star Trek noise is corney - smile! I plan to use something else when I do it in production.

Thank for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by worddigger
    That is a thought. The problem is I would have to move the camera, thus loosing the effect of the room/background set not moving/changing during the transition.
    You could achieve this effect with the footage you already have, just getting a screen grab of the woman (I'm guessing this is your lovely wife who buys you glidecam accessories) then cut her out of the background using the lasso tool in an image editor and then resize and dissolve in over the cat at cat size and enlarge dissolving to back to video footage as she gets to full size.

Mike.
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

Quote Originally Posted by worddigger
    No, it is not a morph. Bad choice of words. Yes, the Star Trek noise is corney - smile! I plan to use something else when I do it in production.

Thank for the feedback.
    Ok, take 2! I have removed the word "morph" from the video. I have also removed the corn-ball Star Trek sound effect and replaced it with a sound that more closely matches the video effect. I have also made the effect a wee bit more colorful:

Additional feedback and constructive critic still appreciated. - smile

I liked it but the 'morphing' could be done faster?

What do you use to edit the special effects?

Quote Originally Posted by minsh
    I liked it but the 'morphing' could be done faster?

What do you use to edit the special effects?
    I used the Sony Vegas 6 video editing software. The effect was created using three (3) nested video tracks, a 'Through Transparent' dissolve, and a simple cross fade.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast