Thread: Premiere 7 widescreen questions

Default Premiere 7 widescreen questions

So I just went from Premiere 6 to Premiere Pro 7, but I so far haven't yet been able to manage to export to widescreen.

I'm just using a Sony Digital 8 camcorder, which has the pseudo-widescreen capability. (basically, it squeezes the image and adds black bars on top and bottom) So when I export my footage (both print to tape and to .avi formats) it always comes out stretched into standard format.

I know that Final Cut Pro has the ablity to 'render footage' which recognizes the black bars etc. that are associated with the widescreen format my camera uses, and renders them so the final product is in true widescreen. Is there a way to accomplish this in Premiere 7?

Default Anybody? Little help here?

Okay, so nobody can tell me anything one way or the other? Sorry to sound snippy, it's just that I need to know what I can do to get my footage exported in widescreen format.

I was havin the same kinda problem... Im still trying to figure it out too?
    PMG \"Professionals Music Group\"

Blog Entries

I'm a tad confused here. Strictly speaking, the video would either be squeezed or cropped. If the video is squeezed, you need to change the pixel aspect ratio to a widescreen format. When played back in a standalone player or software DVD player, the picture will be played back in widescreen (providing the format control is automatic).

If you think about it, it's logical. The pixel ratio of 16:9 widescreen is such that the width is much greater than the height. If your software treats this as 4:3 where the ratio is closer to a square, everything will be squished.

So you need to crop the lines at the top and bottom and/or change the pixel aspect ration to 16:9 or lower.