Thread: help - dvcam and mic only record one channel?

Default help - dvcam and mic only record one channel?

hi - need help, very confused! I shot my brother's wedding recently, and for most of it used a shotgun mic plugged into my sony pc9e. When i listened through the headphones while shooting, it seemed to be working fine, but when I've captured the footage (in premiere pro 2.0, and in moviemaker as a test comparison), only the left channel plays any sound.

Using the camcorder to play the footage back ,and listening through headphones, the sound comes through both channels and appears to be stereo - anyone have any ideas?

Blog Entries

I don't know the camcorder personally but here's my suggestion.

I assume that the microphone was a mono shotgun mic. If so it would only record one channel. The left channel is usually the "main" channel, so a mono input would normally default to recording on the left channel. The headphone would default to 2 x mono, ie you hear "left" mono in each ear.

When you digitise or transfer the footage then there would only be sound on one, the left, channel.

That's the only explanation I can think of offhand.

thanks for the theory, but it's definitely a stereo mic... suppose it could be malfunctioning?

Hey mate. All mics are mono. You need to duplicate your audio track pan one to the left and on to the right. Then that should give you sterio.

Hey mate. All mics are mono. You need to duplicate your audio track pan one to the left and on to the right. Then that should give you stereo.

Blog Entries

Not quite Luke, there are quite a few stereo microphones.

Okay devseven, the next possibility is the capture. Really obvious but easily overlooked.

In your project and capture settings, have you got stereo ticked? Common mistake, done it myself many times.

ONly if its connected with a stereo cable. I think that XLR and mono jack (the jack with only one black line on the silver bit) Were as stereo jack has two black lines on. I think. Not totally sure.

Blog Entries

Luke wrote... "Not totally sure."

Please don't say things like "All mics are mono" then. It's not fair to give wrong information to those asking for help.
    For your information:

http://emusician.com/mics/emusic_audiotechnica_atst/

http://www.schoeps.de/E-2004/overvie...tml#stereomics

http://www.sennheiser.co.uk/uk/icm.nsf/root/05284

Edit: ...and if devseven is hearing stereo when monitoring through headphones from the camcorder, then it must be correctly wired. Which is why I suggested going through steps, one by one. Starting with the capture settings.
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 06-03-2006 at 09:07 AM.

Trevor Wharton Guest

Wink

Have you also tried the computers sound card and settings as if these are wrong you may be capturing in stereo, but only playing back one channel.

as for stereo mics there are quite a few on the market, however a pair of mono mics are likely to give you more flexibility in a creative way