Thread: Help with Editing PC

Default Help with Editing PC

Hello,

I am writing on behalf of my school's mass media program. We mainly deal with photoshop and premire pro. We are looking to upgrade our computers since we got a nice new big budget, and since most of the techies in the program mainly deal with gaming pcs, i decided to come to you guys. So heres the deal, we bought an alienware to test run, it worked ok, but we are keeping our options open. Me and some freinds are very computer literate, and we can build PCs if we have to.

So, can u guys suggest a component list for a video editing computer? Our price range is between $2500-$3000. Only a few things: the head of the program wishs us not to use Asus motherboards since he has had problems with them in the past. The alienware had a Nvidia Quadro FX 1400 graphics card, we feel it worked well. So other than the mobo there are hardly any restraints, so if you guys can suggest an incredible parts list for the price range that'd be great.

PS. Do they make hardware that allows one to put a MiniDV tape into a computer and capture off it? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Red
    Hello,

I am writing on behalf of my school's mass media program. We mainly deal with photoshop and premire pro. We are looking to upgrade our computers since we got a nice new big budget, and since most of the techies in the program mainly deal with gaming pcs, i decided to come to you guys. So heres the deal, we bought an alienware to test run, it worked ok, but we are keeping our options open. Me and some freinds are very computer literate, and we can build PCs if we have to.

So, can u guys suggest a component list for a video editing computer? Our price range is between $2500-$3000. Only a few things: the head of the program wishs us not to use Asus motherboards since he has had problems with them in the past. The alienware had a Nvidia Quadro FX 1400 graphics card, we feel it worked well. So other than the mobo there are hardly any restraints, so if you guys can suggest an incredible parts list for the price range that'd be great.
    It all depend really on what you want it to do and what your priorities are.

For just video editing you need to spend literally 'bugger all' on a video card cos it doesn't really help at all. Save the money and buy a better monitor with it, or better off, two monitors. Some special effects apps like a half decent graphics card but no actual video editors that I'm familiar with.

If speed is of the essence then look at the new Matrox RT.X2 card. That'll eat into your budget and will likely dictate the rest of the hardware you put into it as well but it will edit everything you can throw at it (probably) and render it out in real time.

Get at least 2Gb of Ram and loads of HDD space spread over multiple physical hard drives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Red
    PS. Do they make hardware that allows one to put a MiniDV tape into a computer and capture off it? Thanks!
    I wish! It does seem an obvious piece of kit though doesn't it?

The PCs are going to be used for video editing and graphic design. The few components we utilize in our mass media program is Adobe premire, photoshop, macromedia flash, and a burning program. Whether we will switch to a new video editor is unknown, but currently we stick to the adobe products. So if you guys could dictate what parts i should use, that would be great. Thanks guys.

Have you thoght about buying mac G5's ?

Quote Originally Posted by LukeD
    Have you thoght about buying mac G5's ?
    Yes, but since we have been using pcs forever, and the school all has pcs, we need to stick with pcs.

It might be prudent to wait just a little if you can, as very soon Intel will be bringing out the core 2 duo processors, and according to independent reports (I don't know how independent of course) they have finally come up with something to beat AMD.

Anyway the up shot of this is, if you didn't have the budget for the new chips, the current 'more than capable' dual core processors, should come down, as intel say they will be matching current prices, and this might have a knock on effect for xeons as well.

I too have had problems with ASUS boards but only the ones with VIA chipsets.
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production