Thread: Freeze frame in Vegas - problem...

1. Default Freeze frame in Vegas - problem...

Maybe there is an easier way to do this, but I am trying to do a freeze frame on a piece of footage but it's not working right. I'm basically just taking the last frame and copying it over and over into the timeline until I fill the required length. I've tried this on a couple of clips and it works fine, but on 2 specific ones it just won't work correctly, and when I render out the movie file, it is all jittery, like it's flicking between 2 frames. As i say, i used this method for a few other clips and it works fine, so why these 2 are refusing to work I don't know. There is not much movement, in fact less than on the ones where it DID work. Any suggestions? Is there even another way to freeze a clip in the timeline? Thanks...

Blog Entries

Right click on the clip on the time line, add a velocity envalope, set to 0% where you wnat the freeze.

This is an issue I have been struggling with as well. I tried to select and copy the single frame and create it as a subclip. However, this works sometimes...and usually does not.

I've stooped to capturing the preview window as a screenshot and photoshop'ing it to the appropriate size. Which may just have to work based on my deadline.

I tried the velocity envelopes, however, this also was unsuccessful for me. After I copied the frame I wanted to still...I created the envelope and set the velocity to zero and tried to drag the frame out longer...and the frame just rolled forward slower. Could this be an issue with my version of the program?

I'll be honest, I don't have a ton of experience with envelopes, so maybe I'm just missing something.

Thanks for your help!
    There's the signpost up ahead. You have just crossed over into...

Assuming you have the full version the answer above is correct, if the image is slower then perhaps the end of the V envelope is not at zero, I find it easier to split the clip where I want the still and then set the V envelope to zero.

Blog Entries

I tend not to use velocity envelopes for freeze frame because I find it more tricky to work with if I subsequently shift/lengthen the event.

I do the following:
    Cursor over the frame I want to freeze on the timeline.
    (S)plit
    Ensure the preview window is set to BEST quality
    Click on the floppy disk symbol immediately above the preview
    Save the image
    Insert the image into the timeline.

The only drawback with this method is it has to be repeated if I subsequently decide to freeze on a different frame.
    Tim

Z - I'm running the full version of 7.0e....so theoretically it's 8.0. I double checked the envelope and the entire clip is set at zero. I asked some friends about this method and they said that they felt this wouldn't work because it's just slowing the frame down by A LOT so, in theory, it would still progress. What I'd like to do is have the video play and on the last frame: I want to have the frame play and then hold that ONE frame...for say...ten frames. Like a still.

Tim - the lengthening of the event is exactly my problem with the velocity envelope. Something gets goofy after the frame is held for a certain amount of time. I have been using the screen capture option as you suggested. And...in this case of this video in progress, it's for a family friend so the inconsistencies I find with this method aren't necessarily noticeable or too big of a problem. It just...doesn't it feel like there should be an easier way to do this? hehe.

Has anybody heard of copying the one frame and creating a subclip? The only problem I have with this is that, once again, when I extend the frame...the playback rate gets goofy.
    There's the signpost up ahead. You have just crossed over into...

There is another way.:

1] Right Click Event

2] Properties

3] Video Event Tab

4] Disengage "Loop"

5] Now pull out the end of the Event as faaaaaaaaaaa r rr r as you wish.

DONE!

Oh, while you are IN properties make sure you have Reduce Interlace Flicker engaged. Nothing worse than a flickering still pic!!

Now, the Velo envelop method needs some more work done on it . .

Grazie

What I failed to add, this for SPLIT events, is IF you have split an event make a SUBCLIP of that edited event and do the procedure I wrote above. If you DON'T make a subbie of the Split event then all you WILL do by stretching is replacing the SPLIT stuff - LOL!!!

Grazie