Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ntsc capture to pal?

Default ntsc capture to pal?

hi, this is my first post but i've been looking for an answer to this question for about 6 months all over the internet.

i have a sony video camera that i capture PAL analog by connecting a PAL vcr to the camera and using the pass-thru and firewire so i capture PAL via premiere. i have some NTSC tapes i desperatly want to capture so i can make a dvd. my vcr can play the tapes on to the PAL tv but when i connect to the video camera it doesn't work. from my research this is (i think) because the vcr outputs the ntsc as PAL 6 rather than PAL 5.5. the video camera can import the 5.5 but not 6. i'm sure someone must have had to do something similar before and i would love to know the easiest, most cost effective solution. do i need to spend a fortune on a vcr that handles video conversion? do i buy another vcr that can output to ntsc and then buy a cature card that can read ntsc? do i buy a particular capture card? other options?

any help on this would be really appreciated. thank you in advance,

paul gonella

Just a long shot, but does your Sony camera (model?) support NTSC play back. If so you could try setting this to 'OM' and see if the result changes.

My typing is getting worse as I get older. Sorry the 'OM' should be 'ON'

oops

i think i've tried that but my video 'converts' the ntsc to pal 6 and the camera can't handle that. i have heard that some uk videos can output ntsc video as ntsc (a switch on the back). i don't mind hooking up a new vcr but i would like to know if this works, what makes and models do it, etc.

I have an NTSC playback video recorder and I think I have a NTSC tape somewhere. I'll try it later and post back.

thanks, i appreciate it.

Not the news you want to hear I'm afraid. I tried my NTSC tape, and guess what. I get exactly the same result as yourself. Get audio, and I get video for a split second. Darn darn darn!

I keep trawling though and post back if I discover a solution.

PS. Even longer shot, but if you have any North American friends with a AV IN enabled Mini DV Camcorder. You could get them to transfer your NTSC Tapes to miniDV and then use your Sony camcorder to transfer to PC. (I know, I'm getting silly am I not?)
    :(

thanks for trying!

thanks for the article. my main problem is actually capturing the NTSC. i have a multi format and region dvd player that is very forgiving when it comes to playback so the final output format is not really a problem for me.

looks like i may just have to buy a multi-format vcr or find some place that will convert the video and not charge a fortune.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast