Thread: Problems capturing - help!

Default Problems capturing - help!

Hi all , my friend has an old analogue camera with 3 RCA outputs.He has an RCA to USB converter and captures video in that windows movie maker you get with windows.7 meg/minute very poor quality (at maximum settings) in WMV format.

I opened up premiere but could only capture from digital cameras with a DV socket.Is there a way to capture analogue through USB in premiere or is there any programs people can recommend for decent quality analogue through USB video capture?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Ruffneck
    <snip>

I opened up premiere but could only capture from digital cameras with a DV socket.Is there a way to capture analogue through USB in premiere or is there any programs people can recommend for decent quality analogue through USB video capture?
    I'm new to this NLE thing so I'm no authority, but the reading I've done suggests (in fairly certain terms) that USB is a sucky way to go about capturing video; especially USB 1.1 (data thruput too slow) - USB 2.0 is better/faster, but if the software/system doesn't support it.....

Ya'll might want to consider investing a few quid in a dedicated capture card that has RCA/SVideo inputs. I purchased an ADSTech PCI capture card (native format is AVI) from TigerDirect for about $20USD, and the MPegPro plugin for Premiere Pro 1.5 recognises the card & captures my VHS (gack!) video quite nicely with no major software-configuration acrobatics required.
    ~Applied Metaphysician~

I haven't tried this myself yet but plug the video out from the RCA on your friends camcorder into the analogue in on your digital cam (that is assuming your digital cam has that facility) and run the audio into the sound card, possibly using RCA to a 3.5mm plug then take the firewire cable and run it from the digital camcorder and connect it to the firewire in socket on your computer. That way, you will pass the analogue video signal from your friends cam through your digital cam and have it converted from analogue to digital and then on into the computer for capture. Your software should be able to pick up your digital cam, I know it's a bit fiddly but I would stay away from those USB jobs as the quality is terrible.

Default Capturing from DVDs with Pinnacle...

Hello, Pardon my redundancy - I am not even sure how to post a query here...
    My camcorder footage is now on DVDs but the Pinnacle 9 I had installed doesn't seem to be able to cope with footage from DVDs. What is the SIMPLE answer please? Should I write off Pinnacle and get some other software?

I'm off from Toronto to Scotland soon for a lengthy break, but will check this forum when I can. My email address in Canada is; fionnlaigh@netscape.ca

Many thanks.
    James.