Thread: Cartoon Effect

Default Cartoon Effect

I think this might be done in After effects, but im not completely sure, but i need help on finding out how to do this effect.

http://media.putfile.com/Dime2intro

at about 1L20 into the clip, it turns to like a cartoon effect. I really would like to know how to acheive this effect. can anybody help?

For the stills I'd use Photoshop,

a quick method which would give OK results would be: apply the cut-out filter (filters> artistic> cutout), set the no. of levels to the highest (8 I think), then duplicate the layer and apply the find edges filter (filters> stylize> find edges), set the blend mode to multiply on the edges layer and adjust opacity as needed.

Alternatively, you could get an OK result in Premiere (I'm using version 6.0 but I'm sure it'll be similar in Pro/Elements) for the video by using the video effects> stylize> find edges effect, I set the blend with original to about 70%, it looks similar to the effect in that video. (see attached image)

There's no-doubt a fantastic plug-in that does exactly what you want in After effects, but these solutions might be a good start.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Panasonic SD9, Panasonic NVGS-75, Canon MV600i

thank You very much, i will surely try this out. I would just use the Posterize effect in Premiere Pro 2.0 ut doesnt seem the greatest. What filter in After effects that does this that you speak of?

I already know how to do it in Photoshop CS2 but thank you for that.

I think i figured it out pretty much (jsut guessing)

well here is what i got..http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...B43FA87B19D2DA

I did the poster edges, with a posterize and a brightness and contrast filter....I think thats about it

What do you think

it was a hypothetical plug-in, I don't know one that does it, but I'm sure there is one out there.

there's a 3 part tutorial on making a cartoon effect with AE and Illustrator on the Creative Cow Podcast here:

http://www.creativecow.net/aepodcast/

EDIT: didn't see that post, looks pretty good, almost identical to the original effect.
    Panasonic SD9, Panasonic NVGS-75, Canon MV600i

The defintive answer to this is to use both Adobe Premiere. You need to export your clip as a series of stills. Easy enough. The next step is to open each still inside of Adobe Illustrator CS2 (specifically version CS2 as it's a new feature). Once the still is open in Illustrator you apply the 'Live Trace' filter to it. You need to have defined a good template for the live trace feature. Save the image. Repeat for every frame of your video and then re-import the result back into Premiere as a single clip. Job done.

The job is made much much easier if you have Adobe Production Studio because Adpobe Bridge automates it all for you.

You can get truly astounding results from this technique with multiple passes through Illustrator with different 'live trace' templates. Check out this series of video tutorials at teh Ceative Cow for full details. http://tinyurl.com/f7eww
    Last edited by Alan Mills; 05-27-2006 at 08:11 PM.

Ive already looked that the one from cow, doesnt really like that great, looks kinda weird in fact. But thanks for actually helping me to discover this. if i wouldnt have tryed the posrter edges like you said, i probably wouldnt have found this out. Thanks alot.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Mills
    The defintive answer to this is to use both Adobe Premiere. You need to export your clip as a series of stills. Easy enough. The next step is to open each still inside of Adobe Illustrator CS2 (specifically version CS2 as it's a new feature). Once the still is open in Illustrator you apply the 'Live Trace' filter to it. You need to have defined a good template for the live trace feature. Save the image. Repeat for every frame of your video and then re-import the result back into Premiere as a single clip. Job done.

The job is made much much easier if you have Adobe Production Studio because Adpobe Bridge automates it all for you.

You can get truly astounding results from this technique with multiple passes through Illustrator with different 'live trace' templates. Check out this series of video tutorials at teh Ceative Cow for full details. http://tinyurl.com/f7eww
    thanks for that, but i think this will pretty much cover it. Im kinda tired with donwlaoding new programs everyday to jsut figure out 1 effect, so yah. But thanks for your help ALOT!!