Thread: DV Cassettes: How many times???

Default DV Cassettes: How many times???

Hey, need to film a 21st birthday tonight and with the lack of money I currently have i was wondering if i could film over a previously used DV Cassette without losing any quality on the new recording. And if there was a quality loss then how much, notice/not noticeable.

Also how many times can you record over a DV Cassette before it's quality is useless.

P.S. I hope this in the right section
    Cheers Rob

Blog Entries

Recording over will be fine.

Avoid using the first ten seconds of any tape as drop outs ( i am told) can occur more often here.

I have never notice a tape wearing out and recycle mine cos large format tapes (full size dv) that my cams take are pricey. The only problem i have had is iwth the mechanism of the tape busting. It is not unusual to get the odd drop out, one or two per hour, if you get more then maybe time for a new tape.

Cheers sounds good. May just have to re-use some tapes with footage i no longer need,

Rob

I've heard even 5 times is OK. I reuse tapes 3 times at least, anyway.

Fpv, if you are short on money why don't you ask whoever the birthday party is for if you can get some payment for your time and effort. I know this posting is two days later and maybe you have but just in case, I know I would as it makes you feel like you're not just there as the person with the camera running around trying to get a shot of everyone and it also raises your game when you start editing and producing finished DVD's for customers, I know this is a forum for amateur videographers but what about setting your sights a little bit higher?

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony
    Fpv, if you are short on money why don't you ask whoever the birthday party is for if you can get some payment for your time and effort. I know this posting is two days later and maybe you have but just in case, I know I would as it makes you feel like you're not just there as the person with the camera running around trying to get a shot of everyone and it also raises your game when you start editing and producing finished DVD's for customers, I know this is a forum for amateur videographers but what about setting your sights a little bit higher?
    Hey Nikosony, you raise a valid point there but i couldn't charge for filming and editing for 2 reasons.
    1) They guy having the birthday was one of my best mates and i did it as surprise and
    2) I'm very very new to editing so i do it for the practice and for the laughs once it's finished.

But in the future, once i get my dvds looking shimk, i may just charge a small fee... till then im just goin to do it for fun.

Cheers
    Rob