Thread: editing with pp2...

Default editing with pp2...

i have the new sony hc3 hd cam. been recording footage in the 1080i aspect and it looks great. i have the new creative prodution studio (pp2, ae7, etc...). i capture the footage off the tape in hd as a mpeg with pp2. 1 hour hd seems to be about 10gigs. now i want to edit the footage off of several tapes and makes dvd's to watch the footage on. I have a HD-DVD player but dont have a burner yet. plus my customers will be watching this on regular DVD anyway. so my question is after capturing and i have these 10gig mpegs to work with, what format should i convert these movies to to edit and burn to dvd's? should i edit them in hd format then convert and burn the final project or should i just convert the files to something first then edit and play with the smaller files?

TIA

I have converted a 130+mb video into a 11mb one using river past. I changed it to wmv format and compressed the video.

You'll speed up your workflow by converting your mpeg files to DV AVI. You're 10Gb (per hour) file will become abnout 45 Gb though but editting will be smoother and less strain on the PC.

I recommend you ALWAYS edit in high def and leave it up to your export setting to decide your final format. That way you do not have to re-edit your project (starting again) if you previously had SD and now want an HDV version.

Also, if you are serious enough about you editing to have bought the Production Studio and are working in HDV then you really should purchase teh Cineform AspectHD product. The strain on your PC goes right down and you actually get software only real time editting. I suggets you try the demo. Pop along to www.cineform.com and grab it. You'll be pleased if you do.

Also, I'm curious about your high def DVD player. Tell me about it. What model? How does it send high def out and what to? etc etc

its the new toshiba hd-dvd. i have it hooked up to my sony 60" sxrd via hdmi and it is a beauty to behold. i only have 2 hd movies (apollo 13 & goodfellas) but just havent got around to buying any others yet. the movies look just as good as my regular hd channels.

now this "aspect hd" is a plugin or a separate hd editing program? I'm kinda teaching myself the production studio and i like it alot. so how exactly does the cineform thing help me? thanks very much for the replies so far. I'm like a sponge right now absorbing all you guys' knowledge

Aspect HD is a plugin for Premiere Pro. Evcen though it is only software it gives realtime editting for their own Cineform HDV codec and comes with a number of reatime transitions and effects including realtime high def colour correction. It's truly a treat to behold. Grab yourself the two week demo and try it out.

Nice to see the HD DVD players starting to appear. Does it send out 1080 or just 720?

A colleague has just bought a rather beautiful 42" 1080i TV for under 2K. I'm gutted. :( I've never even seen the output of my Sony FX1E in all it's glory - ever. And he can, now.