Thread: Premiere - Trying to spin a bitmap

Default Premiere - Trying to spin a bitmap

Hi,

Here's what I'm trying to do: -

Image a piece of paper with a red arrow on one side and a green arrow on the other. Hold the piece of paper in front of you (red arrow side facing) and then spin it horizontally all the way round until the green arrow faces you.

My 'sides' of the 'piece of paper' are two small, simple bitmap files - both solid black, one with a solid red arrow and one with a solid green arrow.

Does that make sense?

I've tried using the Video Transitions-3D Motion-Spin Effect but the problem with that is that it applies the transition from the centre of the screen. My bitmap images are located in the bottom right hand corner of the screen so what happens is the bitmap shoots across to the middle of the screen, spins around and then shoots back to its original position in the bottom right hand corner.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Paul

Default Spinning

I think what you might be after is the ‘tilt’ control, found under perspective > basic 3d effects. This will revolve your piece of paper forward or backward. Substitute the red for the green when the image has revolved through 90 degrees - at this point it’s ‘eye level’, if you know what I mean. Any good?

This is using Premiere Pro 1.5

Default Maybe

Thanks for such a quick reply!

Just had a look at that effect but it's a fixed effect, isn't it (unless I haven't understood well enough!)? I.E. it's not animated. Sorry, probably my fault - I didn't explain it well enough first time around - I'm trying to make this an animated effect.

Default Spinning

I'm not quite with you here - it is an animated effect, and it's not fixed. The amount of 'spin' is up to you. What version of Premiere are you using?

You can use keyframes to animate the tilt effect.

get your first bitmap in the centre of the screen, set a keyframe at the start with no tilt, one at the end with 90 degrees tilt, then have your second bitmap in the same place starting after that,

then set a keyframe for the tilt effect at -90 degrees at the start and one at 0 degrees at the end.

Then you can move both the bitmap clips to wherever you want using the motion control, or you could move them first, just make sure they're in the same place.
    Panasonic SD9, Panasonic NVGS-75, Canon MV600i

Default Thanks for your help guys

I'll give that a try - it certainly sounds promising. I'll let you know how I get on.

Please forgive my ignorance!

Default No joy

I've set a keyframe at the beginning and end of each bitmap and applied the Basic 3D effect to the bitmap but when I try to apply settings to the effect the keyframes do not show up. They only show up for Opacity.

It's Premier Pro v7.0 - is this feature not available in this version?

Or am I doing something completely wrong?

Default Cracked it

Ignore the last message, I was being daft. I hadn't toggled the animation on so I couldn't set keyframes until I had.

Thanks very much for your help though - both of you!

Cheers,
    Paul