Thread: Problem with compressing in Premier Pro

Red face Problem with compressing in Premier Pro

Hey guys, I've just started using PP and am already getting a little frustrated. I have a 60 second video file which I'm exporting in order to be able to share it over the web. From what I understand, you can either export it as a movie (.avi) or using the media encoder. Using the movie export option is fine, but the file size is massive, around 300 meg. I can use Virtual Dub to get it compressed to around 20 meg, but this is still to big. I want to get it down to around 3-4 meg, cause I've download high quality video files before which run for only a minute or so with a file size of around 3 meg. Using the media encoder doesn't really help me either, as the quality is either poor if the file size is small or ok but then the file size is too big. I've captured the video using a Panasonic GS-35 if that makes any difference, and any help would be much appreciated here.

Thanks in advance.

I'd try windows movie maker, or windows media encoder, just import your full resolution avi edit and export for web' from there,

You'll be wanting a bit-rate of about 400kb/s for the file-size you want, but you can easily set the target size in the software.

Your quality will be affected by the amount of movement and detail in your edit too, so a simple cartoon could be a minute of brilliant quality at a low bit-rate and therefore low file size, but a full motion video edit of fast moving subjects might look terrible at the same bitrate.
    Panasonic SD9, Panasonic NVGS-75, Canon MV600i

Cheers mate, that gives me a better result