Thread: Audio Problems w/ Camera>PC

Default Audio Problems w/ Camera>PC

I have a canon zr65 camcorder. So im using dv tapes. I have an interview im trying to put on my computer to edit. Im using adobe and i have a firewire. When I transfered the tape to my computer for some reason at the begginning of the tape the audio is choppy and sometimes doesnt play at all. After about 5 mins into it it is normal.

However on my camera I can hear the audio and its fine. And when i plug it into a TV everything is perfect.

I tried it through another camera and used another firewire but still the same problems. Anyone know why this is happening or know a way i can get around it?

How much space have you got left on your hard drive? could be a factor. What have you got running in the background when you capture? to stop any background proccesses press "Ctrl, Alt and Del" in task manager stop all processes EXCEPT anything under usernames "system and LOCAL SERVICES" also leave running anything to do with Adobe, tasmgr.exe and explorer.exe (repeat, DO NOT SHUT DOWN THE LAST 3). On the computer you are capturing to make sure you have the sound turned down or off, I know that this although unlikely can cause problems. You say it plays fine on the TV so it's pointing towards a computer glitch of some sort, how long is it since you defraged your hard drive.
    ggmabaapbnebtrbatst

Blog Entries

I think the advice above should slove the problem, also look at performance in task manager when capturing, if it hits 100% errors are likely, as said above stop all unneeded processes.

The thing is its only for about 5 or 6 minutes that the audio is choppy on the tape...then the rest of the tape sounds fine. And no problem when I use other tapes. I orignially thought that the beginning of the tape was damaged (this is the second time i used the tape). But the fact that it works fine w/ a tv and the playback on the camera seemed wierd.

I put the audio direct into the computer from the camera and it worked that way...but it sounded pretty crappy and I would rather not have to work with it that way.

Is it possible that it could not play correctly through a firewire but play corretly through a regular a/v cord?

Blog Entries

Sounds unlikely, but that is what is happening.... unsure what to suggest now.

Are the edges of the tape chewed or is the tape itself covered in lines like it's been crumpled up? Do you start recording right at the very start of the tape or do you play a new tape for 30 seconds, stop it and then start to record onto it? What is the spec of your computer? Also check the capture settings in Adobe in case you may have changed them recently.