Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Script Stuff

Default Script Stuff

Hey this is prolly in the wrong spot but whatever. I was wondering how to tell which is Act 1 Scene 1, Act 1 Scene 2. How do you tell when its time to change each act and scene?

1/01

Act 1 Scene 02

1/08

Act 1 Scene 08

etc etc

Thats not what I meant but thanks I figured it out. What I meant is when do you change scenes. But its like every act is a dif location or setting then scene is when the scene changes.

Blog Entries

Hmm ,I would say an act is a part made up of scenes, but it doesnt really matter as long as you can follow your own camera script. If you are asking what the 'pro' conventions, well i am not sure.

scenes are ofcourse when the scene changes...

story telling conventions are srtuctered, in there simpliest form as a beginning,middle and end.. these are acts.. if you look at quentin tarantino films like pulp fiction or reservoir dogs the acts can clearly be seen in that they tell a story then finish and another act is started (eg mr white/mr brown etc in reservoir dogs).. most films however dont show there acts as clearly as tarantino's films. but in most hollywood film you look you can see this stucture - they are part of the 'rules' of classical narrative.. most films have somewhere betwwen 2-5 acts depending on the story and length of film..

Haha. Of course I go by my own script ways. But its just this was for my media class and Sir expects a certain way for things. Thats all. Thanks anyways guys.

Blog Entries

A change of time or location requires a change of scene.

So...
    Scene 1- a man is sitting in a bus.
    Scene 2- outside, we see the bus drive past.
    Scene 3- back inside the bus, the driver announce a stop. A woman has a conversation with the man, then the man gets up.
    Scene 4- outside we see the bus come to a stop
    Scene 5- inside the bus we see the man wave to the woman and get off.
    Scene 6- outside, we see the man get off the bus and walk along the street. He sits on a bench. (disolve to
    Scene 7- the man is still sitting on the bench but now it's night.
    Scene 8- a woman in a bedroom picks up the phone and dials.
    Scene 9- the man is sitting on the bench in the dark, his phone rings.

See what I mean?

You have acts in theatre or stage productions but not normally in film or television scripts.

Quote Originally Posted by The Guru

You have acts in theatre or stage productions but not normally in film or television scripts.

-I would have to disagree on that one - I would say that nearly all films,atleast all holloywood films uses acts..

Blog Entries

They may do in Holloywood, but not in Hollywood, Pinewood or Wood Norton. Television shows sometimes have acts, features usually don't. A quick glance through the scripts of feature films I've worked on verifies that none of them had acts, just scenes.

Television series, particularly multi-camera sets, occasionally have acts, depending on commercial breaks or episodes.

Edit: I know that media students talk about "acts", and talk about the three act plot, but this isn't the same as having numbered acts in the script. Just to be sure I've looked in a few bibles and.. nope... features don't normally have numbered acts.

Edit #2. Just to make absolutely sure I've checked in Cole/Haag "Standard script formats" and they state quite clearly (page 21) Feature Film - no acts, television show in acts. And my "Final Draft" scriptwriting software confirms it. So, there you have it... Phew it would have been really embarrasing if I'd got that wrong No act numbers in movie scripts.
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 05-25-2006 at 08:42 PM.

Blog Entries

That about sorts that beyond any sensible argument I should say, Guru is clearly eponymous.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast