Thread: Little editing experiment

Default Little editing experiment

I recently bought something called Visual Communicator, which provides a snappy way of getting presenter-led video prepared and recorded. I've used it in it's preferred method for FTV's regular news presentations, but am now trying it more as an assembly system for clips from existing edits of other news items.

So the piece here was greenscreened conventionally, and the .avi edit of the presenter segmented after titles and background. Then it was assembled with .avi clips from other edits with titles and transitions added in VC, and this is the result:

http://www.felixstowetv.co.uk/06/22may.html

Its a bit clunky still, but I think it's interesting . . . what do you think?
    I try to make someone happy every day - but it may not be your turn today . . .

The narrator's background is edited? If it is, it's nice.

The font is a little plain. But, acceptable.

This is the way it comes out when fully worked in VC, which gives you slightly flashier titles:

http://www.felixstowetv.co.uk/06/15may.html

but as I didn't have sufficient time before recording the news review, I couldn't set VC up to work properly, and therefore tried the method used in the first example.

Blog Entries

Brilliant, local news for local people, really USING the power of video. You guys just never stop or cease to impress.

Did you use a proper prompter or did the news reader learn her lines. I tried a presenter thing but read the lines of paper next to the camera but the eyes looked all wrong.

Hi ChrisG,

Nice work.

It may look a bit clunky in DV but at this compression it looks great.

I am assuming you mean VC from Serious magic.

Have you tried Ultra2 for greenscreen? It offers a lot of interesting and useful features for chromakeying.

Mike.
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

That's the one Mike - I think it works really well, as long as you remember to auto-adjust the keyer every time you shoot a different set-up- if you don't, it sometimes doesn't work at all!

I daren't look at other kit just now, I've just got my credit card bill in . . .

Visual communicator includes a teleprompter system, and I just built a little "bridge" over the back of the monitor to sit a cam on - I also tape it in DV as a back-up, and this is where the green screen on Ruth comes from with the first edition shown. The second item I gave is all assembled in VC. You can do a similar thing for getting the eyeline right in a couple of ways - easiest is to do what I did, and just set the w/p to a big type size, and manually click lines up to the top of the screen as the presenter reads.

I dunno if you've seen Felixstowe TV lately, Mark - maybe take a look when you have time at http://www.felixstowetv.co.uk
    Last edited by ChrisG; 05-22-2006 at 12:32 PM.

Hey Chris, I've just looked at the site (V Nice). A couple of questions.

1. How many people do you have working on it as it seems to be huge, and
    2. How do you fund such a project, i.e Volunteers, advertising???? (hope you don't think I'm being out of order asking this question).

Cheers

Yeebsy
    ggmabaapbnebtrbatst

Q1: me
    Q2: see above . . . !