Thread: dvd architect

Default dvd architect

i have been trying to make a dvd using dvd architect. making it is fine but when i burn it off and try to play the dvd in a dvd player, the screen is cropped. the menu is cut but i knew that might happen because of the little dashed lines for "usable screen area" or something in dvda. but the actual video files are cropped as well and thats not what i want. i would like to see all there is to watch of the video so could someone please point me to a preference or another program that will fix this?

The cropping lines you are referring to are called the underscan lines. A TV screen cannot display the entire screen size. The gudes show you the boundary. The inner guide line is title safe as in any graphics /buttons you want totally visible must be within that area!

okay well i get that. i fixed that problem in the menu the first time i saw it. but what about the video itself? it gets cut off too. is there a way to convert it with blank space wrapped around it to keep all the video on the screen? these are cartoon shows that i made a menu for and put on dvd and what happens in the edges of the screen is kind of important. if you cant see it, you would wonder what just happened and get lost. i just want to get the video media to fit onto the screen, not neccessarily the menus. i fixed that and can deal with it. man this is hard to explain. thanks so far though.

Yes the video will get cut off - when shooting you need to compensate for this. You could try resizing your video but it is not recommended as you will loose quality. You are not loosing that much of the picture so I'd recommend leaving it.

well, the thing is, this isnt video i made. its a bunch of old anime shows that i downloaded and want to put onto disc, with a menu to choose episodes and stuff. and the cropping sucks because anime has lots of stuff happening on the edge of the screen, like a standoff or something. is there a program i could use to render blank space into the cropped off area and resize my video files to the non-cropped space? kind of like a border of black around it. i did it once by accident with some program but im sure the sizes were off and the blank space would have showed. man this sucks. i just want all my videos to be on screen, i wish there was a program that would render them so it would all be visible.

Blog Entries

Mark is entirely correct. Of course, when filming we know about and allow for underscan but I guess as you weren't aware you wouldn't be expecting it. The best advice would be to resize the video in your editor so all will be visible.