Thread: Macs for editing?

Default Macs for editing?

Hi guys,

Was looking at the new macbooks that came out yesterday, rung apple to get a price and when i mentioned video editing they told me I should be getting a macbook pro.

My question is how good are macs for editing? and how good is final cut pro?

I have a big beast of a PC at the moment which I would be keeping to use for file storage etc.

I am wondering if I installed boot camp on my new mac that I want to buy, could I install Sony Vegas and use the network render to use my desktop and my mac together to render projects?

I love the mac interface and also their reliability record.

Anyone got any tips?

Jonny
    ----------------------------------
    JonnyC
    AMD Athlon XP3000+
    1Gb RAM
    2x200GB Maxtor SATA Internal
    1x300GB Seagate SATA Internal
    256MB nVidia GeForce FX6600 AGP
    XP Pro
    Sony DCR-TR7000E

Blog Entries

DO you have to have the portability of a lap top? If not get a desk top of whatever breed, loads more bangs per buck.

As for netrowk render, I would be amazed if it worked cross platform via bootcamp. That is really only ill informed opinion but the ways it could not work seem many.

I'm almost positive it will work on a network render.... I'm a mac enthusiast. I agree with Mark W. If you're looking to get a laptop, get a macbook pro. I have one, its very fast with both XP and OSX, faster than other laptops I've fiddled with. If you've got desktop to spare, wait a little until they release pentium powermacs. Word on the street is they'll be straight built for everything editing- a supercomputer more or less for the price of... not a supercomputer hahah. Goodluck on your search.
    Frank Sinatra - \"Thats Life, Biatch\"

thanks for the advice.. i think a 15" macbook pro is what il go for once i raise the funds.. apparently final cut is an amazing package and i heard recently that the beeb have started using macs now so they must be good!

i have heard a whimper of overheating problems on the macbook pro.. u notice that on yours?

edit: if installing bootcamp on it does it create a partition? osx on one partition, xp on the other?

Cheers
    j
    JonnyC
    AMD Athlon XP3000+
    1Gb RAM
    2x200GB Maxtor SATA Internal
    1x300GB Seagate SATA Internal
    256MB nVidia GeForce FX6600 AGP
    XP Pro
    Sony DCR-TR7000E

Blog Entries

seperate os / seperate partitions - yes. As for macs being good because the bbc use them, well they use pcs, cos they are good too. Nowadays all computers are good, just comes down to hype really. The old os argument is now thankfully slayed by macs wise decision to let xp run to, I just hope it dont spoil all the 'fun' debates...

Default Overheating problems

I've owned a MacBook (15 in) for 4 years, now and it has served me well. Never an overheating problem that I can recall.

I have recently purchased the new 4-CPU G5 for work with the full Final Cut Suite and I'll tell you - in my opinion it beats out full AVID systems hands-down. In the end, you would have to spend thousands more on a custome PC to get the power and efficiency of this awesome system.

Never looked back from when I went Mac...

Joe Rawlins

holler on that hahah.
    Frank Sinatra - \"Thats Life, Biatch\"

Macs - beautiful, fast, quiet, powerful, reliable, stable, expensive. I love mine with a passion, and am firmly on their side of the fence (especially it being cheap(er) as i got it reconditioned from CanCom). Not sure about the MacBooks etc - definately an amazing laptop, but surely a desktop gives you more for less, unless you plan on editing while wandering around the house or popping to the shops for a nice greasy bacon sarnie?
    Dual G5 2.0GHz PowerPC with 2.5GB RAM, 460GB Hard Drive and 2 19" Apple Studio Display CRTs. Let down by a slow drive (Pioneer 108 single layer) and small camera (Panasonic NV GS200)

Running FCP and Toast - its all quite peachy