I recently got a Sony HDR-HC3 and will be venturing into the world of HDV editing. I upgraded to Adobe Premiere to 2.0 and thought I had a pretty good PC (a Dell Dimension 8400 with a Pentium 4 3GHz processor, 2 Gig of RAM, etc.) but it doesn't quite fit the bill for HDV.
After reading through a bunch of forums (thanks to all for the valuable information), I have a good feeling for what makes up a decent system. I have two questions though:
1. Is there an easy way to upgrade my existing system without too much fuss? Could I, for example, swap in a different motherboard and graphics card, transfer over the memory, and be good to go? I'm guessing that won't work because of memory incompatibility, power supply issues, and who knows what else. So that brings me to question #2.
2. I realize that the ultimate system would be custom built out of the best components by following the advice in this and other forums. I'm pretty lazy these days though, and haven't built my own system for about 20 years. I also would like to have someone to call (other than my shrink) if I put it together and nothing works. Does someone out there sell pre-built PCs that have all (or almost all) the goodies I'd need? This would include:
* Compatibility with Premiere Pro 2.0's HDV editing capabilities
* A nice fast dual core AMD processor
* At least 2 Gig of memory
* RAID 0+1
* Windows XP
* Good support
* Ideally under US$5000
* Easily upgradable when it becomes obsolete next year