Thread: Need help setting up Hard Drives

Default Need help setting up Hard Drives

Hi, I do simple video editing - not a pro - projects are usaully 30 - 45 minutes long. I just bought another hard drive and will be getting it shortly. I need to know the best way to set up my three drives for video editing and rendering.

I am using Sony Vegas and DVD Architect, have 2 gig memory, a 3.2 Pentium, and an MSI 875P board (SATA 150 connections). I use outside storage for archiving. My three drives:

WD 250g SATA 16mb cache (new)
    WD 160g SATA 8mb cache (current Master w/ OS installed two partions)
    WD 120g IDE 8mb cache (current Slave where finalized projects are sent to)

Should I put my OS and editing software on the faster 250g with more cache? Which drive should I capture to? Which drive should I send final projects to? Where should my Sony temp files be located? Should I even use the IDE drive when editing?

Sorry for all the questions, but any help I can get will be greatly appreciated.

I think I got it. XP and editing software on the faster drive (250g) - all video files including Captures on 2nd drive (160g). The non SATA drive not to be used for editing just storage. Shame that the larger drive is the faster drive!

Bournemouth, UK

The general rule for video setup is windows and apps on the smallest drive, channel 1 master, Video capture and project files on largest drive channel 2 master, and export drive channel 1 slave.

Whether sata or ide windows and video drives should be drive 1 on seperate channels.
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production