Thread: lots of little short videos

Default lots of little short videos

Hey guys, I am new here and until recently, i have been wanting to make a good film but what comes first is
    a good editing system (mine sucks, Window's Movie Maker, i would like to get Adobe Premeire pro 2.0),
    a good camcorder (mine is a Canon ZR 100 MiniDV and wish i could get a better one, a Canon XL2 Mini DV Camcorder),
    a good tripod (mines a SLIK U 9000 and i would like to get a steadicam cause its better than having a freakin tripod),
    a lighting system (i dont have one but one time, i tried strapping a flashlight to my camcorder and it did not work too well as we were trying to make a Blair Witch-esq film),
    a good movie idea with devoted people willing to be in it (about all of my movies suck and are utterly stupid or boring or whatever but trying to make a film without the right equipment is like saying you dont have a pair (if you dont know what pair means....its balls, yes balls....jeez ),

So all of that, of the things i want, would cost a trillion kabillion vazillion dollars but i try to just make a good film, edit the best i can and so forth. Anyways, enjoy!

Here are some short little videos i have compiled up and some arnt really a "movie" but just a clip of some random stuff or whatever. Enjoy
    Intense

Nightmare

What is art? -school project

Run Tom Run

Internal Ache of the Busy Mind

Joga Bonito

Crazy World

Canadia

Default feedback

some feedback on any of the videos would be great.

Blog Entries

Oh god!

I can see that I'm going to end up as the hate-figure for Videoforums but...

Okay, on the positive side: If you know the people in the videos, then they're probably quite nice to watch.

There's a mantra (nope, I don't mean the car from Opel) which you should bear in mind when showing videos to strangers....
    "A video should be entertaining and/or informative". Unfortunately, the videos you're offering aren't either.

You've had some fun days out with some mates, who played up in front of the camera, and you've added some music. Which is nice. But for those of us who don't know your friends, it's well... um.. boring.

You're going to hate me anyway so I'll cut to the chase. The camerawork is sloppy, there's a lot of hosepiping, zooming in and out, panning, hoping to find something, shots of the floor, waiting for the autofocus, etc. etc. This isn't entertaining or informative, so edit it out.
    Sometimes people talk directly to the camera, but we can't hear what they're saying. The music doesn't fit the visuals and the images aren't edited to the music.

This is the sort of thing which it's great to show to those concerned, when you've had a few beers, joints, lines, whatever. For the rest of us, it's uninteresting and the technical side is awful.

Sorry mate, I don't know how else to put it.

Edit: I saved this bit for later. re: What is art.

I really would have liked to seen, heard and discovered a bit more about this. It was a slide show of neo-realistic art set to a country and western song. I would have liked to know more about the art or the artists. Instead of flitting from one work to another, it would have been nice to concentrate on a few works, show close-ups, maybe have comments from the artists and so on. There was also a lot of unexplained images, especially the changing colours sequence. Was that present in the original artwork or was it something added by you?

finally: A hint, if you're showing art, then don't use flashy wipes, twirls and other transitions, it distracts from the images and looks tacky.

But this particular video certainly showed potential, after a minute or so, mainly because the subject was interesting. Lose the awful music though.
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 05-18-2006 at 05:32 PM.

Im going to have to agree with Guru. You need a better editing program for one and less camera shake. Use a trolly or mount on a skateboard. Take a little more time in planning your video. Oh and one last thing why does that guy wear that green vest all the time. Hhahaa.

Quote Originally Posted by The Guru
    Oh god!

I can see that I'm going to end up as the hate-figure for Videoforums but...

Okay, on the positive side: If you know the people in the videos, then they're probably quite nice to watch.

There's a mantra (nope, I don't mean the car from Opel) which you should bear in mind when showing videos to strangers....
    "A video should be entertaining and/or informative". Unfortunately, the videos you're offering aren't either.

You've had some fun days out with some mates, who played up in front of the camera, and you've added some music. Which is nice. But for those of us who don't know your friends, it's well... um.. boring.

You're going to hate me anyway so I'll cut to the chase. The camerawork is sloppy, there's a lot of hosepiping, zooming in and out, panning, hoping to find something, shots of the floor, waiting for the autofocus, etc. etc. This isn't entertaining or informative, so edit it out.
    Sometimes people talk directly to the camera, but we can't hear what they're saying. The music doesn't fit the visuals and the images aren't edited to the music.

This is the sort of thing which it's great to show to those concerned, when you've had a few beers, joints, lines, whatever. For the rest of us, it's uninteresting and the technical side is awful.

Sorry mate, I don't know how else to put it.

Edit: I saved this bit for later. re: What is art.

I really would have liked to seen, heard and discovered a bit more about this. It was a slide show of neo-realistic art set to a country and western song. I would have liked to know more about the art or the artists. Instead of flitting from one work to another, it would have been nice to concentrate on a few works, show close-ups, maybe have comments from the artists and so on. There was also a lot of unexplained images, especially the changing colours sequence. Was that present in the original artwork or was it something added by you?

finally: A hint, if you're showing art, then don't use flashy wipes, twirls and other transitions, it distracts from the images and looks tacky.

But this particular video certainly showed potential, after a minute or so, mainly because the subject was interesting. Lose the awful music though.

Thats why I said I needed some equipment to make the videos. But you have to remember, I am just starting out as most of those videos were for fun. I really liked you feedback though, very helpful. Thanks!

LOL. Yah he must not of seen that. Bad Guru bad. LOL. Hey man you still didn't mention what was up with that guy in the green vest? Little curious, really am.

Quote Originally Posted by Onomoto
    LOL. Yah he must not of seen that. Bad Guru bad. LOL. Hey man you still didn't mention what was up with that guy in the green vest? Little curious, really am.
    Thats me in the green vest, i wore all the time in the winter cause uh its really cold here during the winter...i live in rochester, new york at the moment but goin back to hotlanta soon.