Thread: Very Cheap Digital Camcorder

Default Very Cheap Digital Camcorder

Hello guys,

First post here, could do with some help. Ive found a really good value Mini DV camcorder called the JVC GR-D247 on offer, but its so cheap that its kinda putting me off the price.

It has Firewire support which is the most important thing to me, but has anyone got any good/bad experiences with JVC's in the past? I will be using it to shoot mostly indoor sequences.

The price is 165.00 and it normally retails at 250.00.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

I'd check that it's PAL, not an imported model, and try googling to see if there's a common fault with that particular model,

but if that's OK, I think JVC are as good as any other manufacturer at the budget level. Maybe it's old stock or something?

You should have a good play with the settings and make sure you set the white balance and other stuff so it's tweaked for indoor footage, but that goes for all models of camera.
    Panasonic SD9, Panasonic NVGS-75, Canon MV600i

The 247 is PAL and the 240 appears to be American, never used this camera but checked out a few forums, here is some owners reviews.

the standard battery life is around 1 hour. Instead of the JVC 5 hour battery (95) I bought a generic on ebay for 21 and it gave me at least 5 hours - although it remains to be seen how many recharges it will take.

Once switched on (a tad difficult with a gloved hand), it's ready to go in a few seconds. It's small enough to keep in a jacket pocket, so no problems wondering if you want to take it or not.

So, in conclusion, this tiny, cheap camera far exceeded my expectations. It did every thing it promised, at a really low price.

Disadvantages: Bad picture quality in low lighting situations, tape-loading can be tricky if using a tripod.

as you say the standard price is 250 but is pumping them out for 165.

Hope this helps you out.

Looks like it's a good buy, looking at the e-buyer site, I'd be tempted to go with the Canon MV890 instead:

it's only a few quid more (175.49) and it has a true 16:9 recording mode and it's smaller too. But they're both good starter cameras, I wish there were deals like that around when I first bought a camera...
    Panasonic SD9, Panasonic NVGS-75, Canon MV600i

Thanks for the replies guys. I actually went ahead and bought this camera this morning, the price went down another 5. I know its only pennies but i also think it looks pretty cool.

I guess now i gotta worry about lighting etc..

Once again thanks for taking the time....