Thread: Brian Emrich Sound Designer for Pi

Default Brian Emrich Sound Designer for Pi

Trying to write an essay about the sound in the film Pi. I chose this film so that I could compare it with my own work. Been having real difficulties getting resources about what techniques he used. Can any one point me in the right direction other than google

Cheers

haha, ironically enough I've just today finished and handed in my dissertation on the use of music in trainspotting. not sure how this relates to your essay exactly, but are you writing about a score, or SFX or what?

I have to write an essay for the module I just completed... here is the brief

A critical essay is an academic document that gives clear evidence of solid research in the chosen genre of your production, your role and the programmes content, structure and style. As evidence of this research your findings should be supported by relevant, quoted text.

Each student is required to submit an essay.
    It should include:
    a justification of the programme format and content and how this relates to
    the target audience for the programme.
    a concise description and evaluation of your role in the programme, showing evidence of your individual contribution to the planning, research, production and editing of the programme.
    a critical evaluation of how the production relates to theoretical and historical contexts of the medium .
    an individual evaluation of the production process and the success of the
    final production in terms of fulfilling its aims and reaching its target audience.
    Target length 2,000 words (+ or 10%)

not that brief

Basically I was inspired by this film and wanted to do my sound project in the same style. Unfortunatley to many chiefs and not enough indians lost the meaning as you will see........here

DJ Trigger (like the MC?) you might be able to help with the sources you used. Find any good sites while researching your dissertation?

I used a lot of books about the history of film music, and about pop music in film, as well as critical and theoretical books. but it seems yours is more like an evaluation of your peice in reference to industry standard and conventions of broadcasting rather than a straight up essay.

check out the books of K.J Donnelly (my lecturer) for anything you pretty much need to know. I'd suggest "Film music: critical approaches" as a good starting point.