Thread: Premiere Elements 2.0: Video stutter in Preview/Monitor

Question Premiere Elements 2.0: Video stutter in Preview/Monitor

First off, let me say that I have a feeling this question was posted before, so apologies if it has been. I tried to use the search function but could not find thread for my particular problem.

Anyways, when I import a video from my files, and then preview it on the Monitor window, for some reason the video stutters when it's played back in the Monitor. I notice that the stutter gets even worse if I add any special FX to the video. Is there a reason why this is happening, or is this just normal for Premiere Elements?

Here are my system specs:
    Pentium 4 3.2GHz processor with 800MHz Front Side Bus
    2GB of PC3200 DDR-RAM
    256MB ATI Radeon X800 XL video card
    A 40GB and 250GB Hard Drive (both Maxtor brand)

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Default

Fizziks I am by no mean an editing expert but I think that the laggy\stutter is fairly common - One thing you can do to keep it to a minimum is to keep the timeline zoomed all the way in when previewing.
    much easier with a computer

Default Stutter problem/ Free plugins for prem elements

This might be of some help. Make sure that anti virus software or other processor hungry resources are not running. I had the same problem but i closed down processes that didnt need to be on at the time i was editing and this resolved the problem. also if you make sure that your harddrives are always defragmented and that you try to save files to a drive that premiere elements is not on this will also keep the program running better.

Might aswell post a question while im here. Does anyone know of any extra free plugins for premiere elements

4. Default

about the plugins - did you find any? - i would like to get some too.
    much easier with a computer

Check the top of the timeline if there is a red line this means that the timeline needs rendering (welcome to the pleasures of Premiere). To do this hit the ENTER key and rendering will begin and the line will turn green.

The program is trying to encode the timeline including filters and effects in realtime, and when it can no longer keep up it starts to drop frames and you get the stutter, so the more effects you add the worse the stutter will get.

To help with performance have your second internal HDD on seperate channel to the windows drive, and capture all your video to it and also any other files you use in your project (images, titles, scratch disk files) don't be tempted to add images from the My Pictures folder, make sure you copy them to the project folder before importing them. If when you start your project the project file is saved to a folder on the second drive (Premiere saves them to My Documents/Adobe/Premiere.... by default) then the scratch disk files should by default be saved to the same folder.

Mike.
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production