Thread: Video Tour: Schloss Linderhof, Bavaria

Cool Video Tour: Schloss Linderhof, Bavaria

Ok, back to serious work. After Guru's helpful critic of my "Maypole" video, criticising the use of too many fades, I kept that advice in mind while editing this 2:56 long video tour of the grounds of King Ludwig's Rococo palace. Although there are some necessary fades (smile) the bulk of the transitions are simple cuts timed to the music. In my opinion, that helped produce a superior visual product. Of course, I'm open to more constructive feedback from you pros out there. Let me have it. That is the only way I am going to learn. Thanks

Video captured on DVX100 at 30 fps, editing on Vegas 6.
    A DivX version can be seen here: http://www.christiangeology.com/video/clasiclinder.html

Blog Entries

Viel Besser. Immer hin.

I found that much more watcheable than the maypole video, even though the subject wasn't as interesting. The dissolves were, as you say, necessary and fitted the mood without becoming boring. I'm not normally a fan of travelogue stuff but I liked this video.

But...

(Please, please don't get the wrong idea, I'm not criticising just for fun, there are enough skateboarding videos around if I wanted to go in for that.)
    To raise your video to the next level, you need to concentrate a bit more on the sound. Or rather the lack of it.
    Just having music is okay but a bit of ambient sound would have raised the bar. Recording a couple of wild tracks of the waterfalls and the general open air sounds and adding them in the right place would have improved the contact the viewer feels to the scene.
    Finally a commentary (done afterwards NOT at the time of shooting) with a few facts, figures and information would give the viewer a clue as to what he/she's watching.
    These are just my impressions, but I must say that the video is a vast improvement and I'm really being quite anally picky.

PS, just a tip. When you're doing close-ups and the background is fussy, try to move so that it doesn't distract so much or move back. If that's not an option then I would zoom in and/or get the lens to open up to throw the background out of focus. On a sunny day you might have to use a neutral density (grey) filter or a polarising filter to reduce the light coming through the lens. If that doesn't work, adjust the "shutter" to make the lens open up.
    But that is really ultra-nit-picking on my part.

Gruss gott.

Edit: Having just read my post, it sounds quite arrogant and know-it-all. I don't mean it to be such, it's really meant as friendly advice, not as stuck-up criticism.
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 05-14-2006 at 02:44 PM.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by The Guru
    Edit: Having just read my post, it sounds quite arrogant and know-it-all. I don't mean it to be such, it's really meant as friendly advice, not as stuck-up criticism.
    And I take it as friendly. Yeah, a couple of those shots would have been much better opening the Iris, zooming in, and droping in the ND filter. I'll work on that one the next time out.

Sound! Now that is my next investment. I need to buy a couple of wireless mic systems. Of course, I also need to buy a good light kit so I can progress to some serious scene work. After that I need....$$$$$$

This is turning into an expensive new hobby for a 55 year old guy. BUT I'M HOOKED!!! - smile!
    Last edited by worddigger; 05-14-2006 at 04:45 PM.