Thread: Audio Fixing

Default Audio Fixing

Well, I'm not sure if this is exactly what you guys do here, but maybe one or two of you knows how to help me or direct me to help.

Recently (yesterday), I went to a Shinedown/Trapt concert (THAT FUCKIN ROCKED), and brought along my friends digital camera that also takes videos. The video is quality, but the audio is shitty, (of course, it was loud ass music)...

Is there any possible way to fix the audio that the music can be heard? I was certain there was a way to do this but I'm not sure, if you need more info just ask.

I am completly clueless on what to do, so any comments are appreciated...thanks

2. Default

There will be very little you can do. The mics on cameras like that are not made for high sound levels. The sounds recording in the cameras itself is also not for anything but taking verbal notes about things. Gotta use something good if you want something good.

Quote Originally Posted by Evereddie
    There will be very little you can do. The mics on cameras like that are not made for high sound levels. The sounds recording in the cameras itself is also not for anything but taking verbal notes about things. Gotta use something good if you want something good.
    Thanks for the help anyway. Yeah, I was expecting it to be good, but I thought maybe there was some way to turn down some volume levels on it to make it sound a little decent, oh well. I had the time of my life, it's all in my head. ^^

Blog Entries

It's an unfortunate fact of life that analogue sound recording doesn't like sound recorded at a low level, digital doesn't like sound recorded at too high a level.

Think of it like this,( and I'm making it really simple here) the recorder takes samples and gives them a number. Once this number reaches the maximum which the system can handle (100% in other words), then it just can't go any higher. Hence the distortion.

Sorry mate, can't think of a way out unless you want to spend hours with an audio programme which won't improve things all that much anyway.

5. Default

As well as digital not liking a higher sound level, the mic is the weak link in this scenario. The mic is made sensitive for picking up ambient sound and conversation. The extremely high levels in the concert are just too much for it. The camera has a built in sound leveler (Automatic Gain Control, AGC for short) so it is not as much of an issue that digital can't take it as the mic can't take it.

I have been there and done that and you actually can help the situation by putting 'tape' over the mic. Scotch tape or black electrical. You will however have to re-equalize the audio afterwards since more of the highs wil be lost that way. In a pinch it can help out. The much better way to fix this is to plug in an a good external mic if there is a jack for it.

Trevor Wharton Guest

Smile

The best way I can think of is to edit in a properly recorded sound track of the band, or catch them on another gig on some better equipment