Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Video Post

Default First Video Post

Heres a video I made for my school. Tell me what you think.

(YOUTUBE)

http://hkfilmproductions.com/May%205,2006.zip (ZIP FILE)

now the music adds a mood, but not the right mood to a skateboarding vid, soo slow off a mood and i found myself getting bored after the first 15 secs. Skateboarding vids are all about quick pace action, and this song dont fit for that.

but hey man from a pure editing standpoint without the music or anything else, the intro is nice.
    -Sean
    http://www.Sean-Nelson.com
    intel core2 i7 960
    16GB DDR3
    Radeon HD6850
    Audigy 2 Soundcard
    2 x 24 Inch wide screen LCD Monitor + 30 inch tv.
    TBs and TBs of Storage+ SSD

Blog Entries

Sorry mate.

The music is completely wrong for this. "Gimme Shelter" from the Stones demands impressive visuals. I ended up listening to the music but switching off visually. If you've only got mediocre images, then you have to be very careful about using this sort of music.

It's a video of people skateboarding, but that alone doesn't make it interesting. In fact, how can I put this, it's quite boring. You need to get closer, get the skateboarders to do more exciting stuff, and improve your camcorder techniques.

Bearing in mind that you can be quite harsh in your criticisms of other people's videos, I expected a bit more, and was quite disappointed.

Well sorry to hear that guru. But as you know they are not pro skateboarders and I do need a fisheye for the camcorder so I can get closer. So I have to use what I got in order to get certain angles.

Like you said: "Wow that is really boring."

SOS = same old . . . . . . . stuff. Maybe you should watch more boarding footage to see how people handle this kind of shoot and edit - there's loads about, so anything you do needs to be exceptional to stand out from the crowd.
    I try to make someone happy every day - but it may not be your turn today . . .

Blog Entries

Actually Onomoto you don't need a fisheye to get close. You just need to move closer or zoom in, all camcorders will close focus to at least 1 meter, even without a fisheye.

Why not tape your camcorder to a skateboard? Or have the skateboarder jump over a camcorder on the ground? Think laterally.

Try it, you'll be surprised just how a few close-ups improve everything.

Edit: and think more about the music, your images really don't fit with classics like "Gimme Shelter". Sorry to be so harsh, think of it as constructive criticism.
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 05-16-2006 at 10:11 AM.

No totally I do take it as constructive criticism and I thank you for all the posts. Oh and Chris G I wouldn't talk dude your video of people dancing made me fall asleep.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Onomoto
    No totally I do take it as constructive criticism and I thank you for all the posts. Oh and Chris G I wouldn't talk dude your video of people dancing made me fall asleep.
    Thus demonstrating clearly that your primary talent is in dishing out criticism, and being unable to take when it is on the same level!
    I try to make someone happy every day - but it may not be your turn today . . .

Clearly you do understand Chris G. I have took both of you guy's advice. Im jsut saying because I said something bad about your video you return the favor to mine. So im returning the favor to you. So just calm down Chris G and have a popsicle.

Blog Entries

Onamoped,

I'm going to say what everyone's been too polite to say, we're not upset at your comments about Chris's video, because it's obvious that you didn't understand what the lost sock is about. Your criticism just made you look a bit dim.

When you said it was like the actors were reading from cue-cards, all of the regulars thought "Yes, that's what it's supposed to look like". People laugh at "The lost sock" because they're supposed to.

So I assure you that Chris wasn't being rude just because you misunderstood his video. As an experience videomaker he was just assuming that you could take direct criticism, in the same blunt manner as you dish it out. The fact is that your skateboarding video is very boring (sorry to be so blunt but I don't know how else to say it) and technically very immature. If you look at Chris's videos you'll see that the focus, exposure etc is all correct, yours isn't. He also edits between close-ups and long shots, gets the important action in frame and has a rhythm in the editing. This isn't accidental, neither is the "bad" acting and outrageous plot. His video is a parody.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parody

Chris's video is deliberately "naff", yours is (unfortunately) unintentionally poor. Your "returning the favor " to Chris is very much a case of digging your own grave.

Edit: Before you get annoyed, have a popsicle and bear in mind that I'm telling you this, not to upset you, but to give you a "heads up" before you carry on making yourself look silly. This forum is actually very friendly compared to most and none of the regulars indulge in tit-for-tat reviews, just be prepared to receive negative comments if you show rubbish.
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 05-18-2006 at 09:37 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast