Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP!! DVD Burning problems

Question HELP!! DVD Burning problems

Please bear with me, I'm new here and not very technical. I'm trying to convert my home movies to DVD. My problem is that the finished article looks really grainy and poor quality. My camera is 'Sony Handycam DCR-HC20E'. I'm quite happy with it and the picture plays back well irect from tape onto TV. To transfer my tapes to my PC, I am using a firewire cable. I am capturing and editing my movie with either 'movie maker' or my DVD burning software which is called 'My DVD Studio 6.1'. The picture looks fine when I view it on my PC. I am burning onto TDK DVD-R discs (which the Sony shop advised me to buy). However when I play back the DVD on a DVD player (and I've tried on a few diferent ones), the picture is nowhere near as good quality as it is on the tape and on the PC. It's grainy and bit fuzzy. I really don't know where I am going wrong and I don't know who to ask, so I really need some help from you guys. The only other information I can think might be relevant is, I have tried capturing the video on high quality and burning using the high quality option aswell as using the standard options. It doesn't make any real difference to the outcome. PLEASE HELP ME!! Thank you.

I am with you mate. Same type of probs with my Sony.

Just repling to 'bump' this topic higher up in hope of a response for us!

3. Default

First thing to check is that whatever editing program you are in, is the screen size set to proper tv frame size. In the US it is 720 by 480. I don't use windows movie maker but have read that it defaults to a smaller size or is not even capable to doing the full size. The next thing to look at is the bitrate of the dvd encoding. It should be somewhere around 5-6mbps. If that is dropped too low you will also get grain. If your DVD authoring software has Dolby AC3 compression for audio then you might get 2 hours at a decent bitrate. If you don't have Dolby compression for audio then shoot for no longer than 90 minutes at the most.

Default Bitrates

Here's a article ment for DVD Studio Pro for the Mac, but it will help you anyway to figure out how it works with bitrate ect.

http://www.creativemac.com/articles/...e.jsp?id=31809

OK, my prob is now I have firewire cable and picture quality looks OK on PC screen, BUT, I cannot burn it on to DVD that plays on a DVD player.

Nero DVD appears to only allow me to burn if saved as 3 types of file. Mine is a mpeg I think, but this 3 letter code after full stop is not recognised by Nero.

Any thoughts anyone? How do I convert from MPEG to a format NeroDVD understands to burn?

Format I need for Nero is .ifo or .vob or .bup

How do I convert from MPEG to one of 3 formats above that my NeroDVD understands to burn si can watch clips on a regualr DVD player?

.ifo .vob and .bup are the files that a DVD player reads, you will have to import your MPEG into a DVD authoring application, which will then create the VOBs (Video OBjects), IFOs (InFOrmation files) and BUPs (BackUPs of the ifos) for you, and put them in a folder called VIDEO_TS (and probably an empty AUDIO_TS folder aswell), this is what you will burn to the DVD.

There's hundreds of programs that will do this, from things like Adobe Encore which will allow you to create a professional looking DVD menu system, down to things like MuxMan, which will take your DVD compliant MPEG files and just simply create the vobs, ifos and bups with no extra menu or DVD structure.

Do a bit of research to find out what would be best for you.

edit: Also noticed you posted this question 3 times in different places, this won't help you get the answer any quicker. If you're desperate for a quick answer to a question, I suggest Googling it, 5 minutes research would have brought up what I've just told you.
    Last edited by bgarthp; 05-30-2006 at 11:40 AM.
    Panasonic SD9, Panasonic NVGS-75, Canon MV600i

thanks for answer.

sorry for triple post. I am newbie,a nd dont have broadband so downloading free software to author, not really an option for me.

I'll keep trying.

did your DVD writer come with any other software?
    what version of Nero do you have? there could be some sort of simple DVD authoring mode in there somewhere.

You could try buying a video editing/utilities magazine with a demo disc, you'll probably find something on one of them, at least a trial version that will let you get started.

MuxMan (get it here: http://www.mpucoder.com/Muxman/versions.html) is 156kb to download, so you could try that, it's the very simplest solution, but it should allow you to make a working DVD, as long as your MPEG is DVD compliant,
    (see The art of DVD encoding part 1 in the video editing guides on this site for what is and isn't DVD compliant)
    Panasonic SD9, Panasonic NVGS-75, Canon MV600i

Nero 6 was installed on PC when I got it.

I will give Muxman a try then, as 156kb seems a small download that my dial up could cope with. Hope its easy to use - I am clueless!

Thanks for all your help so far.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast