Thread: canopus ADVC-55 help

Default canopus ADVC-55 help

new here, and I am having problems capturing VHS tapes that have a little static in them, I was under the impression that if I was using a 6-pin to 6-pin firewire connection I did not need the additional DC adapter. What is happing is when the static plays over the video on the bottom of the frames the device stops capturing for a second, this is a big problem when most of the video has some static in it. Does anyone know of this problem and how to fix it. Will buying the DC adapter solve this problem?

Any help on this matter would be big help!
    thanks alot.
    a newbie

Err - Northamptonshire?

I had a similar problem trying to capture a very old VHS tape that was in pretty poor condition. Not the static that you describe (which sounds like bad tracking anyway) but the result was that the ADVC-55 would lock up - the green capture LED would turn to red and the capture would freeze. It could be that you have a quality/condition issue with your tape. I suspected some kind of locking error - the ADVC-55 just couldn't lock on to the tape because it was in some way corrupt or unreadable - almost as if it had lost its timecode (except I don't think VHS tapes have a timecode). I never did solve the problem, although it was suggested to me that copying the vHS to another, new, blank VHS would probably have helped.
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...