Thread: Intel or AMD

Default Intel or AMD

Hey all, I am building a new rig, I have been using Adobe products, they actually list Intel as being the preferred chip to use with their software, but does it really matter? I am going to go dual core whether it be P4 or AMD, but I just wanted to get a consensus from the pros. Thanks in advance.

Ryan

I use AMD but if Adobe have Intel optimization, go for Intel. And definitely dual-core.

Go AMD hands down. Way better processor. Intel sucks. AMD gets way better frame rates.

For video work, the general rule is:

Single core = Intel
    Dual Core = AMD

Not sure about any intel optimisations, but have a nosey here:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/cpu/charts.html

and compare the ones you're thinking of on the video encoding tests.

Thanks for the info, very helpful. I am on my way out the door to purchase an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+, as it looks to pretty much toast the P4 D920 I was considering. You guys rock!

The intels will give slightly faster render times, but the realtime performance of the AMDs will mean that you won't have to render quite so often.

The AMDs have onboard memory controllers which makes them faster at transferring the data back and forth, so the editing will be a nice smooth experience even if the exporting and rendering takes a bit longer.

I bought a 4200+ plus when they came out just as a test, and kept it, I enjoy using it, no lag on the edits compared to dual core 840 with hardware video card support.
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

Thanks miwhel, I just went out and purchased the AMD 64 X2 4200+ and a Couple Gig of OCZ DDR400 RAM, Can't wait to get it in my new box and take her for a spin around the editing room. The old 2.4 Ghz P4 just kept on chunking on Adobe PE2. Thank you all for your input. Hopefully I can get something out now for the world to view.

8. Default

I'm having the same dilemma at the moment. I was looking at the motherboards for the Pentium D and the 64X2, and I noticed that the Intel processor seems to support faster RAM than the AMD one. Is this something to consider for video editing?

Intels do use faster memory, but P4 chips have to send all the data through the chipset to get it in to ram, so performance lag is a problem. AMD and DDR400 is still quicker.

As always in the PC market things are changing. Both AMD and Intel are about to release new chips. AMD's are moving to a new socket and fan setup, this formation will also support DDR2 memory the same as the Intel chips. Intel are bringing out new dual core chips that are supposed to out perform AMD's for first time in many years, but how these chips will work out in video editing will be interesting to see.

Whatever happens, prices for todays hardware should come down, making a quality video editing machine more affordable.
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

Quote Originally Posted by Onomoto
    Go AMD hands down. Way better processor. Intel sucks. AMD gets way better frame rates.
    Erm, you do know that your graphics board is generaly more responsible for frame rates? But yea Intel suxXx my balls. Hell I use a sempron and its better then my old P4.
    CDB Productions