Thread: Capturing Video from Sharp VL-PD3

Default Capturing Video from Sharp VL-PD3

Someone please help me, I am trying to capture Video from the camcorder above. This model is Mini DV. I have tried using the 4-pin DV to 6-pin DV into my desktop via a new Belkin Gold Card. The card seems to be working and the software that came with it tells me I already have drivers installed (Windows XP SP2) But neither windows movie maker ulead 5.0 or sony vegas can see the device. I have tried using a 4-pin to 4-pin on my laptop and have the same problem only that the ulead software can control the camcorder but comes up with error message cannot build preview graph. Sorry about the lenghthy Q. I have looked at a lot of forums and cheched some stuff out but to no avail. Any Ideas anyone?

Have you set the camcorder to "player mode"? Just checking, I scoured a few foru,s and it seems to be an issue with model, if you get no luck here the best bet is to contact sharp.

Sorry I could not have been any help.
    ggmabaapbnebtrbatst

Default Sharp VL-PD3

Yup, tried that, and that, no reply from sharp, thanks for looking anyhow.

Blog Entries

Does the operating system, XP, 'see' the camera?

What does the card do? Is it a fwire card only? Check with software vendors if it something weird maybe ? Guessing really...

It does appear to see the camera because it asks me what i want to do ie open with...blah blah but it does occasionally show an error I have followed these up to no avail. My new card is simply a firewire and USB card. I have tried into my laptop with same operating system firewire direct. In this case the Ulead soft ware can control the camera ie play ff etc but tells me I have no tape in the machine I think it is not getting the video signal or cannot see it. On one occasion I did see a fragnented picture, but only once. Sharp think it might be a windows problem, not much help. Many thanks for your input.

Hello Toymaster, I am having the same problem with the same camcorder, I did not have any problem when I could use my S-Video cable that has the Red,White and Yellow connections. This got damaged and I can not afford a new one, so I bought a Firewire card that connects but still will not work. I have tried the PC communications cable but have been told I need the software to go with it. I do not realy know these technical things. If you manage to sort this out will you please EMail me < tuclin@hotmail.co.uk > Thanks Tucker.

Default sharp VL - PD3

May be a little to late,
    I own also this camera and didn't find a solution
    but you can now solve the problem with buying the " Studio mini" USB Video Grabber for Windows from Formac (Part.-Nr FWTV60-1)
    plug and play with a fast USB2.0 interface, captures analog video and audio from VHS,V8,Hi8,tapes, etc..., burn your video files on DVD/VCD/SVCD, iPod,iPhone export with included video converter software, capture still images by one -click snapshot button, detects NTSC/PAL automatically
    this little toy is cheap and it WORKS !!!!!
    I hope you can enjoy your video's now !

May be a little to late,
    but you can now solve the problem with buying the " Studio mini" USB Video Grabber for Windows from Formac (Part.-Nr FWTV60-1)
    plug and play with a fast USB2.0 interface, captures analog video and audio from VHS,V8,Hi8,tapes, etc..., burn your video files on DVD/VCD/SVCD, iPod,iPhone export with included video converter software, capture still images by one -click snapshot button, detects NTSC/PAL automatically

Quote Originally Posted by simba View Post
    May be a little to late,

Will this solve my problem? I have Sharp VL PD3 camcorder, but pc cable has 9 pin female connection - is there a USB alternative?

yes this works, you have to connect through the video connection in the front of your camera , with the white,yellow,red and black plugs, this cable wad delivered with the camera,do not use the pc connection. succes!