Thread: Alienware?

Default Alienware?

Hi, i'm relatively new to video editing and PC's to use. So I was wondering if a Alienware PC such as ahttp://alienware.com/product_detail_...de=SKU-DEFAULT(Alienware 3550) could be any good for video editing. A broader question would be if gaming computers have the same specs as computers that are used to edit. Any answers would be appreciated, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Green
    Hi, i'm relatively new to video editing and PC's to use. So I was wondering if a Alienware PC such as ahttp://alienware.com/product_detail_...de=SKU-DEFAULT(Alienware 3550) could be any good for video editing. A broader question would be if gaming computers have the same specs as computers that are used to edit. Any answers would be appreciated, thank you.
    The pc looks very good and quite capable of video work with the new Pentium® D Processor its good.but you are going to need to increase your ram size and the once you start that you might want to include a few hard drives also.
    I noticed you can also include a Samsung SyncMaster which i do recommend whats a great pc without a great screen?

What You Need For Video Work:

#Lots of Space (hard drives)

#Lots of memory (ram)

#Lots of money(hehe)

Graffics card doesnt have to be top class, a middle of the range card will do fine.
    Really a computer which is made for video work will be fine also for gaming

Mark

Yup I agree with Mark here.

Gaming PC's are usuually very high specced but there is one change needed.
    Gaming machines come with very high end graphics cards which are simply not needed for video work. Most Video Edit software does'nt use the graphics endige that games use. Instead of having a gfx card worth £250 a card worth £100 will more than suffice.

Take the spare £150 and put it back in to either ram, cpu or another disk.

I find it curious that the new Matrox RT.X2 card only seems to be verified against high end gaming cards and not Matrox's own cards.

I agree that there is no need to go mad with a graphics card but there are some editign (type) apps out there that can and will expect to make use of it. Not least is Adobe After Effects.

I find you curious Mr. Mills!!!