Thread: Why not widescreen?

Default Why not widescreen?

OK, team, I originally posted this question ("A Man For All Seasons") a couple of weeks or so back, but I'm still struggling with the same problem.

To recap:

I've ripped a DVD using both DVD Shrink and Clone DVD to my hard drive.
    I've set up a widescreen project in Premiere Pro
    I've renamed a .vob file as an .mpg file and imported it into the Premiere Pro project (as suugested in my previous thread)
    I've successfully added a new title to the .mpg file
    However: when I export the project to DVD, it comes out as a 4:3 aspect ratio project, despite the original movie being widescreen and despite the renamed .mpg file playing in widescreen

This is for my father's birthday, and it's now only a couple of weeks away, and I'm getting desperate. Does anyone have any idea why I can't import a widescreen .mpg into Premiere Pro, edit it and then export it as a widescreen movie?
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

Kansas City, Missouri, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Universe 42

Does Premier Pro support Multi-VTS DVDs? Also does it have wide screen menus?

Single VTS DVDs must have all parts the same aspect ratio and format. If your DVD authoring software can't do multi-VTS, then you'll have to create widescreen menus and make sure every mpg used is widescreen.
    Fav quote - "Experience is whatcha don't get 'till ya don't need it no more."

System - Athlon 1.4GHz, Win98, Hauppauge PVR250 receiver and compressor.
    Software -Magix Movie Edit Pro 10, Nero 6 + NeroVision Express, Moho 4.61, PSP 8.1, Bryce, Quicktime 6.52 pro, Goldwave 5, DVD-Lab.
    Cameras - Panasonic GS9, Canon ES8400V, Canon EOS D20 and Canon A70

Thanks Crusty. Just to clarify, I'm working with only one of the .vob's from the original DVD. I don't need to replicate the whole DVD, just one sequence, and that will be 'pure' video with no menus etc.
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

Try the following....

make sure your start with a widescreenpreset in Premiere Pro.
    Import your mpg.
    Right click on the MPG file (I think) and select interpret as and make sure you 'remind' premiere pro it is 16:9 (i.e. non-square pixels).
    As long as it all inside a widescrene project then it should be fine.

Thanks Alan. I'll try that and let you know how I get on.

Alan: I promised you I'd get back to you on this - and the result is... I owe you a beer. Brilliant! I clicked on 'Interpret Footage' and then 'Conform To' in the Pixel Aspect Ratio box. It was set to regular PAL - I reset to PAL widescreen and hey presto. Given that it was widescreen footage to start with, I don't know why it wouldn't automatically select the right pixel sapect ratio, but there you go...

If anyone cares, I think I also solved - well, not 'solved' but developed a theory about - why I couldn't import the second and third .vob files (renamed as .mpg files) into the project. They may have been called .mpg, but Premiere didn't see them that way - Premiere just saw a file format it didn't recognise, and fell over. (I discovered this when trying out various mpeg joining tools - they claimed that the second and third files weren't mpeg files). My guess is that when you have a sequence of .vob files, only the first contains some kind of .mpg-like header information, which a DVD assumes is carried on in subsequent files. If you arbitrarily rename them as .mpg files, the first one will work - but the lack of header information in subsequent ones means that they won't.

So I didn't solve the problem - I just did a cut down (credits only) version of the movie for my father - but, like I said, I think I understood why Premiere acted the way it did. If anyone has any further insight into this, I'd be delighted to hear it.

Thanks again Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian in Northampton
    Alan: I promised you I'd get back to you on this - and the result is... I owe you a beer. Brilliant!
    Ian, Of course you realise that this IOU is now on permanent record. I'll hold you to it at the next videoforum.

Alan: absolutely! Cheers (sic)! Ian