Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No firewire on dv camera

Default No firewire on dv camera

Hey all. My name is rob and im really new to video editing. Went away last new year and filmed a bit of footage with me n my mates and now want to make a dvd of it.

First thing first, equipment i am using is a panasonic NV-DS11 DV Camera and editing will be take place on my laptop. Now i've been told by many that firewire is the go for dv editing, no probs there. Seeing as though my laptop doesn't have firewire i went down to the computer store today and i was showed a firecard for the laptop and a 6-to-4 pin cable, no probs there.

Before buying i wanted to quickly make sure it would be alright for my camera so i went home quickly to check, problems start. Looking at my camera i can't see any slots that looks even remotely similar to firewire, instead its got an s-video port (i think) with edit written next to it.

What do i do and is it still possible to connect through firewire. I've been wanting to edit the videos for ages so any help will be much appreciated.

Yes it does have fire wire. Can you post a pic of-The sides,front and back of the cam then I can have a look to see the port.

No way it doesn't have Firewire. Look again.

i have the same camera for messing about with, and it has a plastic cover that removes itself from the front of the camera under the lens on the bottom right hand corner. it's called iLink. inside the plastic cover is the connector to put the 4 pin end of the lead.

Default Found it.

Yeah i found it. You guys a bloody legends. It's my dads camera and i dont know if he still has the manual so ur help has been much appreciated. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Mihai
    No way it doesn't have Firewire. Look again.
    Should have bet ya a fiver :p

Hi fpv lion tamer

What kind of footage did you and your mates film, if you don't mind me asking?

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony
    Hi fpv lion tamer

What kind of footage did you and your mates film, if you don't mind me asking?
    Haha nah i dont mind u asking. Went away campin for 2 weeks for new years with mates. Filled 2 n 1/2 DV cassetes with boys just being boys. Drinking, cooking feasts on our portable bbq, playing pranks, riding on sea biskets, sun baking on the beach and generally making asses of ourselves. Should be a great dvd to watch once its finished.

I'd love to post it once im finished but a)it will be to big to download and b)it may offend

Sounds like it was a great 2 weeks. You certainly have plenty of material for a DVD and maybe a deleted scenes section at the end, have you got any music for it yet? And don't worry we'll give you a tutorial on how to cover up your friends faces using a mosaic pattern or a little black square. Will it need to be animated so it can follow 'things' around the screen? Yes, I watched Beavis and Butthead during the 1990's and there is still nothing to touch them (huh, huh, huh... you said touch).

Sorry, matron hasn't been around yet with the medication.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast