Thread: Is this how they do it?

Default Is this how they do it?

A while back i posted a topic on getting 'true black levels' on vegas 6 as i understand that many dv cameras dont record dark areas as they should and im trying to colour correct some footage for a reason il now explain. Recently i saw a music video shot with a sony hd fx1 (or could have been the model up but dont think there's any qulaity difference just more pro functions) but yeh anyway i saw some footage shot with this camera and it looked amazing, i know they didnt even use 3 point lighting im sure they only had like 2 red heads in most scens and one small light that was on the floor for outdoor scenes, but they crafted it well. The real beauty of it stood out with the colour grading, now i hear a term mentioned alot when people are editing which is 'crushing the blacks' now for a while i didnt understand what that meant but now i believe it to mean 'getting black to actually look black' instead of a dark colour grey or some other off colour, is this right?.

i have a sony vx2100 and know that in sd mode there shouldnt be too much of a noticeble difference in quality between this camera and the sony hd if given the same lighting setup etc, so my question is, is my understanding of 'crushing the blacks' right? because i have been told this is a huge step towards making the video colour grading looking as sharp as it does and im aiming to get my footage to look as nice as the video im talking about.

I found a filter on vegas 6 called 'levels' and i found that by tuning that i can actually get the dark areas of my video to look black whilst still maintaining the rest of the colour in the scene, id just like to know is this the best way of achieving the truest black levels in vegas (or any other program) and also what other colour grading techniques add to getting a rich smooth looking video as the one mentioned above? Thanks for the help guys

Sony FX 1's will be better as its a high def camera.

ok, but i viewed the video on a standard tv and as far as im aware you cant see the benefits of hd on a sd tv is this true? i understand that hig def will blow sd out of the water but if i filmed in hd on an fx1 then played it on a sd tv what would the results be?

As far as i understand it should be the same but the colours will be better. Alan is our HD expert.