Thread: Jerky, stuttering playback

Exclamation Jerky, stuttering playback

Dear all, this is my first posting. It's great to find there is a community of like-minded, problem-ridden Premier Pro 1.5 users out there..

I've been making a film for a little under a year now. I've captured a huge amount of DV footage and almost finished editing my hour-long film. A few days ago I got a problem I've never had before - jerky, stuttering playback.

I've tried - capturing a small clip into a new project, resizing my display resolution and colour depth, reinstalling Premier - all of the things on Adobe's 'Troubleshoot digital video capture and playback' doc.

When I disable the video channel in the timeline the audio plays back fine. When I export to DVD everything is fine.

It feels like some Windows XP related problem, but what I've no idea..

The only thing I've done differently recently is to install 'Second Copy' to managed my backing up to a couple of external hard drives.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Best wishes

Tony

Are you getting stuttering playback during capture or from the timeline?

Have you rendered the timeline before playback?

If it is second copy that is the problem you can use the project manager to back up a complete copy of your project to the destination of your choice, this will include everything you need to reproduce the project should the worst happen.

If you have a timeline over 30mins long or 4 or more sequences, then do this regularly, aswell as 'save a copy' in the file menu, just in case the project file gets corrupted (it does happen)
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

Many thanks for the reply. The stuttering was only on playback, and yes I render on an on-going basis. The film is 60 minutes and I've got about 15 sequence windows..

I tried loads of things from various usergroups, but nothing worked. In the end I figured it was something in XP that had corrupted so I used 'system restore' to take me back to well before the trouble started. Thankfully this worked!

One thread I read suggested that stills may cause problems with crashing. I've used quite a lot and all of them were problematic in the editing - mostly because they kept disapearing for no reason when I was editing zooms into them or tracking across them.. Damn machine crashes around 10 to 15 times a day, but then the project is about 270 gig. I've got a shorter project comming up so I'll monitor its performance on that.

Thanks again.

Tony