Thread: my worst day in the office

Default my worst day in the office

been a bad day for me... ran batch files earlier which had mistakes in my folder paths and it deleted about 3 of my source video folders..

in each folder my captured action had been captured into many small .avi files. I thought if i recaptured the tape from beginning to end I would be able to just open the .veg project file and when it warns about missing files I would point to a new location but oh no, my project timing is now all messed up!! I think the files must have been broken down differently from the last time. i.e. clip001 is now clip 001+002. What can i do to ensure this doesnt happen again (apart from not deleting my source files).

Does timecode come in here?

Please help me!

I could cry right now!!

Regards
    Jonny
    Last edited by jonnyc747; 04-28-2006 at 01:08 AM.

ooooooooouch!

Thats a pain in the arse! - Somewhere along the line you had clips named the same.

You must make sure that you are consistent in naming your clips! I had a similar problem where it was asking for the wrong tape. I had to go back and figure out what was what and i wasted an entiere day trying to figure it out!

Jonny, you could always try NOT DELETING YOUR SOUCE FILES, only joking mate I to have had this problem and now I make sure I keep the tape/file names on a piece of paper inside the DV tape box.
    ggmabaapbnebtrbatst

yeah i was up to 4am trying to work stuff out and recapture it all. I have no problem identifying the tape names as when vegas reports missing files its gives the tape name i.e. tape01-001.avi as the filename.

Each time I capture I use the advanced capture mode. I thought the capture tool would automatically detect the clips in the same way as last time i.e. creating a new scene based on video content. However, there are more clips this time than last time? Does this make sense?

Would it be a better idea to capture my tapes as one solitary avi file?

Yesterday was a day id rather try and forget about!

Blog Entries

I dont think i am a workflow expert by any means but I capture as one big avi. I just feel more in control that way.

You got me beat!! I don't understand why you are getting more clips when re capturing, I thought the capturing was carried out with the computer reading the cameras electronic signals (i.e start/stop/time code) and a shed load of logerithms ensuring that if you recapture you get file for file and frame for frame duplicates. Realy sorry I can't help. Just a quick question, are you saving to the same named folder and drive?
    ggmabaapbnebtrbatst

Quote Originally Posted by yeebsy
    You got me beat!! I don't understand why you are getting more clips when re capturing, I thought the capturing was carried out with the computer reading the cameras electronic signals (i.e start/stop/time code) and a shed load of logerithms ensuring that if you recapture you get file for file and frame for frame duplicates. Realy sorry I can't help. Just a quick question, are you saving to the same named folder and drive?
    yes thats right, I have recaptured all the tapes using the same tape names. I selected the option which creates a new clip everytime a new scene appears. Perhaps I had dropped frames on the first capture? Would this make any odds?

EDIT : for the first section of my project i had used clips 001-107, now i have 001-108!

I have no idea about usage of timecode etc... maybe someone could explain. All I know is that I go to transport - capture - capture tape and away it goes!

jonny
    Last edited by jonnyc747; 04-28-2006 at 02:52 PM.

ooooooooouch!

Thats a pain in the arse! - Somewhere along the line you had clips named the same.

You must make sure that you are consistent in naming your clips! I had a similar problem where it was asking for the wrong tape. I had to go back and figure out what was what and i wasted an entiere day trying to figure it out!

Tough luck man, yea remember to name your clips. Hapy editing