Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi definition? Is it time to move down that route?

Default Hi definition? Is it time to move down that route?

Hi guys,

I have a number of queries and would appreciate any info.

Presently I am using an ancient Digital8 camcorder to capture footage from motorsport events. I upload some clips to the net and produce DVDs. The camera I have was a good one in the D8 era but now I feel it is time to upgrade. I will keep this old one so I can still capture all my D8 tapes.

I have to video my first wedding in september for a friend and its a good excuse to upgrade to a new camcorder. I am a student and my budget is low although I wouldnt mind investing in a good camcorder providing it would last me for years!

I am happy with sticking to Sony but I have a question about which format to go for. MiniDV seems to be the way to go for prosumer camcorders. The question is though - is it worth spending a bit extra for a Hi definition camcorder? I was looking at the Sony HC-1E which has high definition. It is a nice little beast but rather pricey.

If anyone could advise me on a good camcorder in the sony range i would appreciate it. I want something with 3CCD if possible and want this camcorder to do what I need for the next few years. Something with pro features is what I'm after although I dont know too much about it just now.

Also I need advice on which tripods/accessories I should invest in before capturing this wedding.

Thanks in advance for the info/advice.

Many thanks

Blog Entries

What pro features are you after? Pro cameras often have less features !

If you are planning disribution via dvd and the web a hdv camera will not offer better finished quality to a good dv camera, but a good hdv camera is also a good dv camera and you are future proofed.

Editing hdv footage can be very slow too.

If I had say, 3000 quid to soend on a camera I would be torn between prosumer hdv and s/h real pro dv. Definition v build quality / lens / nice to use.

For around a grand, well that would be a small secondary canera and it would be a toss up between a pdx10 and that cute sony HD. I would check out the pic quality of both in dv and decide thinknig of hvd as a bonus.

Thanks for the reply Mark,

As far as I am concerned DVD will be the only output media used. I cant see myself doing any serious broadcasting as the video editing is only really a hobby. Something with a little extra would be nice though so that it would be future proof.

I take it MiniDv is the only way to go for amateurish editing? Aside from my DVDs of motorsports/aviation the only other thing I will be doing is some wedding stuff. As I have said these will all be output to DVD.

If not going for HD what camera would you recommend? Stick with the Sony?

Cheers

Blog Entries

The sony looks great and from what i have just read will produce excellent dv when downconverted.

Low light performace is not the best so it might be something you should check. The 'pro' version looks nice too.

I think if I was spending 1000 to 1500 ( I wish) on a small camera then I would probably go for the sony hi def. Pic quality is said only be a nadger off the bigger z1.

edit

OH NO, now I have thought about it I really want that pro version of this camera, bah 1800 quid. Plannig a big trip to india or maybe thailand later in the year and it would be cool to get it all in hd. Sulk. All money going on house for next few months as gf just moved in.... ho hum. Lifes full of choices innit...
    Last edited by Mark W; 04-27-2006 at 03:19 PM.

lol, it is indeed!

have you any links to the pro version? I thought there was just the one HC1. If not going for HD what would you recommend? I would be spending around 1500 max. A trip to New York might get me cheaper prices too!

I haven't much of a clue about camcorder hardware as u can probably tell but appreciate all the info.

Jonny
    Last edited by jonnyc747; 04-27-2006 at 03:32 PM.

HD needs lots of POWER wait untill the next generation of Cell proccessor Chips come into curulation.Then buy a new PC,by that time a new nearly boardcast quality HD camcorder is going to be under 1000 pounds

Mark

Even if I had the money, I wouldn't go HD.
    I don't need it just now.
    And my professionalism as a videomaker doesn't match HD yet anyway.

was looking at the new sony hc-3 today in the local sony centre - nice price at 1000 for a hi-def camcorder but i feel it is rather limited and it is probably OK for me at the moment but as I want to get more into this videography thing I think it may limit me somewhat.

The nicest machine I have spotted in the Sony FX1, what a beauty!

O yes, another question. In two years time how will my SD DVDs look if everyone has an HDTV? Will they look totally crap or just the same as they do now?

Cheers
    J

Blog Entries

The quality of your work is more important than the format.

If your idea, filming and editing is good then it dont matter if it's SD or HD.

guys i have been tihnking things over the past week or so and have been paying alot of attention to the VX2100. It seems to be within my budget as its advertised some places for around 1500 although Id have to get some extra accessories to go with it.

Anyone on here use this camera and willing to give me any comments on it?

THANX
    Jonny

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast