Thread: A video of my other hobby ...

1. Default A video of my other hobby ...

This is a great forum with great people who shares their knowledge about videography. I have been sitting by the sidelines picking up tips from you guys and finally made a video. Thanks to all you guys here.

Have some nitty gritty flaws in it but hope you guys can tell me how more to improve my skills.

View video from here. (only one video available anyway)
    http://photo.rogerdeng.com/video

Blog Entries

I really enjoyed that. Told the story in a way that kept me intersted right the way through.

Nice shots of equipment at start, very nice equipment too ! Nice shift of dof on camera stuff. Maybe just a bit too much travelling stuff.

Great picture of the bird too.

Music suited well. Much respect.

Blog Entries

I agree with Mark's comments. A bit too much emphasis on the travelling But an enjoyable watch and it wasn't skateboarding / parcour / you shot it yourself!

I'm a little in two minds over this one. For the amount of story and information actually given it is a very long piece and I seriously think it can be editted down to about 1/3rd of what it is at least and be better.

What suprises me though, is that as long as it is (and I was conscious of it while watching) I never got even remotely bored with it.

I'm presuming you filmed it all yourself as well. i.e. you never had anyone else to hand. There were a lot of 'static' shots which makes me think no-one was guarding the camera while you were driving by. Some of those car shots needed a little panning i thought.

Also I assumed you were at home at the beginning yet when you got into your car you were in a multi story car park. I had to stoip and think about that for a second and so it might be considered a continuity error?

And lastly, what kit did you use to put the camera on the side of the car? I'm curious.

Blog Entries

I think the car shot was done by holding tha camera whilst driving. I too was suprised it worked that long. I have a pet theory that all tripod no panning shots give a really nice calm pace, you realx into the video sort of.

6. Default

Thanks Mark W, Marc Peters and Alan Mills for your valuable comments.

I kind of agree myself that the travelling bit was too lengthy after a couple of viewings. And yes, it was all filmed by myself, which actually took about 3-4 hours of the morning. That explains the amount of static shots I have in there.

Alan, your point about having more panning shots of the car is noted. As for the multi-storey carpark bit, guess its hard for you to visualise as most of the apartments in my country has one next to it. As for the car moving shot from the side, I was handholding it while driving slowly. It was then speed up in editing to try to give that speeding effect. If you look closely, it was the camera shaking more then the car's suspension....

Cheers