Thread: Vegas Render Speeds

Default Vegas Render Speeds

I was wondering will I get faster render speeds if I close my preview window,or doesnt it matter.
    I am editing a small skateboard video I have quite a few effects/transitions/frame grabs also a bit of multi layer video,and allready its taking 50 mins to render it.

The video is only 7 mins long so far

I am rendering to template Pal dvd

Umm I wouldnt of thought the render times would be so long,possibilly multi layer video..

Mark The Wonderer

Blog Entries

Rendering video has to be the last remaining reason to buy a faster CPU. Try rendering multi-layered effects in HD!

Mark sums it up best here: http://www.mediachill.com/irishmark/TV/bored2.htm

Blog Entries

Nice vid. Rendering is a pain but I think it is amazing it dont take longer when you pause to think about the magnitude of the number crunching. We really are spoiled for pc power and yet we must have more. A pc today is about as fast as a 1990 cray !

One tip that might be usefull to others for rendering - To avoid a sluggish pc when rendering switch the priority of vegas to below normal in the task manager. Rendering then becomes a sort of background task and it stops being so irritating.

Having said that I am looking forward to that dual core PC I am saving up for.

But then I will probably get a HD cam and be cross all over again. Ho hum.

Still lets be thankfull we can edit at all eh? It's like magic to me still.

This podt made me giggle in a crazy loosing my mind kind of a way.
    I've just had an allnighter rendering out tracks for this DVD project I'm on. Taking an average of 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 hours per track. each track is about 5-7mins long.

This stuff is multilayered video with alot of masking and blending of tracks so intensive stuff!

With Vegas I have noticed that on renders that take longer than say 45mins minimizing the window can cut time down by about 5 minutes so its minimal really.

Tips on speeding up a render - I feel an article comming on marc!
    # Loads of ram and CPU power!
    # where possible render to a disc other than that of the disc where the footage is stored.
    # Raided discs speed things up considerably!
    # Close down all unessesary applications. Things like messenger, quicktime, i-tunes helper, all those that appear in the task manager that are not system critical. - I've noticed skype to be a bit of a memory hog at times.
    # When rendering walk away! If you are doing other things - well its obvious really.
    # Specifically with vegas - clean your timeline. Get rid of ALL underlapping clips where you can. Even though those sections are not being rendered. Vegas does try to read them while going through it all. It's the biggest flaw with vegas but also a failsafe measure too.

So in answer to your original question - yes minimizing the window will speed it up buy only by a small amount. Once you introduce multilayersthe process gets longer.

Marc: Has anyone written an article on rendering tips and speeding it up? Maybe a collaboration here as I assume prem pro has other tricks too.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters
    Rendering video has to be the last remaining reason to buy a faster CPU. Try rendering multi-layered effects in HD!

Mark sums it up best here: http://www.mediachill.com/irishmark/TV/bored2.htm

Yeh I have seen videos from IM I just get very jealous! "Your the boss Mark"

Mark you mentioned above;
    # where possible render to a disc other than that of the disc where the footage is stored.
    Why?? I would of thought its better to create on the same hard drive where your raw footage is..

Thanks mark

Quote Originally Posted by marrs
    Yeh I have seen videos from IM I just get very jealous! "Your the boss Mark"

Mark you mentioned above;
    Why?? I would of thought its better to create on the same hard drive where your raw footage is..

Thanks mark
    YAY - i would have preferred been called the DADDY!

Right the reason for this is basically data flow. when rendering tVegas has to read data from the disc and write to the disc. So if it's reading from one disc and writing to another the data flow is quicker thus, faster rendering!

Ahhh, so true! The Irish are smart... Just like me
    Rendering speed isn't a problem to me, it's a small problem I'm having AFTER rendering, I made a thread in the "Sony Vegas and Media Studio" section... I really need a solution to that problem... But thanks for the hints, they will be useful

Some things I`ve found speed rendering up are first disconnect from the internet and then close any background programs by going to the taskbar and going under the processes pain select unnecessary program and click end task. Change the priority of Vegas to High. And if your disconnected from the internet close your virus software too.