Thread: Capturing from DVD drive. Please Help.

Exclamation Capturing from DVD drive. Please Help.

Yo folks. Desperately need to know how to capture footage from a dvd playing in my dvd-rom. My sister got all her all school VHS-C's put onto dvd's and she wants me to cut a few things together for her friends 21st this Saturday. I'm using Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5.

Cheers,
    Jacob.

Hi jacob,

DVD files are essentially MPEG files. If you take a look here:

http://www.videoforums.co.uk/reviews/faq

At point 10, that will tell you how to rip the files off.

Let us know how you get on!

Thanks Mike. If I can get my hands on those programs it seems feasible. However I do have a miniDV camcorder that is supposed to have analogue in. I tried to play the dvd's through a dvd player hooked up to my camcorder via S-Video but it doesn't seem to get there. Does this sound like it should work to you or not. I'm thinking it's coz it's analogue in and dvd is digital. I know I sound like a fool but this all seems to hard for a little bit of footage. GAH!

Ok. Cheers so far mate I'm on the right track. However the file turned out to be a bit choppy like the framerate wasn't right or something. Any idea how to solve this?

5. Default

Playing a DVD analoge output into a camcorder and capturing that way should work. I have had to use this technique many times. The choppy comes from the computer not being able to keep up. We assume you are going from the camcorder to the computer via firewire. First be sure to de-frag your hard drive just before capture. Turn off any programs not needed like anti-virus and such. Disconnect from any network including internet while capturing. Also, try a capture program called WinDv which does wonders in computers that have capture issues. It's free!http://www.free-codecs.com/download/WinDV.htm Bet you are good to go with this.

OK. Time is against me. I've defragmented my HDD and all that but the video is still choppy. It's not that my computer can't keep up because I've captured, edited and exported video plenty of times with Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 and it's never missed a beat. However I am using Virtual Dub to get the footage to DV. With using Virtual Dub is there a setting I'm not doing or something? I've set the frame size to 720 x 576. Is that correct?

Also if someone could instruct me on how to capture a dvd to my camcorder using the analog in feature I'd be very grateful.

Thanks for the help so far guys.

Exclamation

Alright please can somebody suggest something else. Does anyone know why the video is choppy and how I can fix it? Or how to capture it from my dvd player to my camcorder properly coz my camera doesn't seem to be seeing it.